Curiosity Expert: Bran Ferren
Co-Founder & Chief Creative Officer, Applied Minds
Bran Ferren speaks from unique experience on the art and science of the imagination, and how to organize for innovation. Bran was chosen for "The 100 Most Creative People in Business" 2011, Fast Company magazine.
Equal parts artist/designer and scientist/engineer, he has a distinguished career of contribution to business and product development, film and entertainment, aerospace and other sciences, winning many awards, including three Academy Awards for technical achievement.
Ferren fills his presentations with ideas gleaned from the history of invention, his vision of design and technology's future, and he offers concrete ways to redesign innovation processes that come from his experience as one of our finest innovation practitioners.
Bran is a dynamic and inspiring speaker with unparalleled knowledge and insight into the ways invention and innovation, creativity and technology interact for business success.
He is the co-founder, Co-Chairman and Chief Creative Officer of Applied Minds, a company that provides advanced technology, creative design, and consulting services to a variety of clients, including Northrop Grumman, the Air Force Research Lab, the Smithsonian, and the Library of Congress.
Before founding Applied Minds, Ferren held various leadership positions, including president, at Walt Disney Imagineering, the company's R&D division.
- New York Drama Desk Award
- Los Angeles Critics Circle Award
- Maharam Foundation Annual Theater Design Award
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences awarded Ferren its Technical Achievement Award (1983), Scientific and Engineering award (1987)
- Member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- Kilby International Award in 2000: For Significant Contributions to Society through Science, Technology, Innovation, Invention, and Education
- Wally Russell Foundation, 1998: Lifetime Achievement Award for an Outstanding Contribution to the Entertainment Industry
- Academy Awards: Technical Achievement Award (1983 & 1987)