Episode Show Notes:
The #nomakeup movement is linked to a rise in makeup sales -- here's why by Steffie Drucker
- “Natural beauty” isn’t effortless (or free). (2021). Chicago Booth Review. https://review.chicagobooth.edu/marketing/2021/article/natural-beauty-isn-t-effortless-or-free
- Smith, R. K., Yazdani, E., Wang, P., Soleymani, S., & Ton, L. A. N. (2021). The cost of looking natural: Why the no-makeup movement may fail to discourage cosmetic use. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-021-00801-2
- Jewel, A. (2020, November 10). Alicia Keys Is GLAMOUR UK’s Autumn/Winter 2020 Cover Star. Glamour UK; Glamour UK. https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/alicia-keys-glamour-uk-cover-2020
- Shunatona, B. (2020, January 26). Why Doesn’t Alicia Keys Wear Makeup? Other Than, You Know, Because She CAN. Cosmopolitan; Cosmopolitan. https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/a30519498/alicia-keys-no-makeup-look/
Scientists made photosynthetic frogs by Cameron Duke
- Incredible Creatures that Use Photosynthesis For Energy. (2014, March 9). Futurism; Futurism. https://futurism.com/photosynthetic-animals
- Olena, A. (2021, October 13). Scientists Use Photosynthesis to Power an Animal’s Brain. The Scientist Magazine®; The Scientist Magazine. https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/scientists-use-photosynthesis-to-power-an-animal-s-brain-69307
- Özugur, S., Chávez, M. N., Sanchez-Gonzalez, R., Kunz, L., Nickelsen, J., & Straka, H. (2021). Green oxygen power plants in the brain rescue neuronal activity. IScience, 24(10), 103158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2021.103158
Why don't atoms collapse by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Joseph in Denver, Colorado)
- Fermilab | Science | Inquiring Minds | Questions About Physics. (2012). Fnal.gov. https://www.fnal.gov/pub/science/inquiring/questions/bob.html
- Baird, C. (2013). Why don’t electrons in the atom enter the nucleus? Science Questions with Surprising Answers. https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2013/08/08/why-dont-electrons-in-the-atom-enter-the-nucleus/
- Ethan. (2011, October 5). Music theory and quantum mechanics. The Ethan Hein Blog. http://www.ethanhein.com/wp/2011/music-theory-and-quantum-mechanics/
- Nicholas McKay Parry. (2021). Electron capture | Radiology Reference Article | Radiopaedia.org. Radiopaedia.org. https://radiopaedia.org/articles/electron-capture?lang=us#:~:text=Electron%20capture%20is%20the%20radioactive,neutrino%20(ve)%201.
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Explorers Club - Steve Elkins
Today, we’re hearing from an explorer and filmmaker named Steve Elkins. Steve spent decades searching for a legendary lost city deep in the jungles of Honduras. His search for the city was documented in the New York Times best-selling book, “The Lost City of the Monkey God,” by Douglas Preston.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Explorers Club - Sian Proctor
Today, we are lucky enough to hear from a highly accomplished explorer who has some incredible experiences to share with us. Dr. Sian Proctor was the mission pilot for the Inspiration4, which is the all-civilian orbital mission to space and she’s the first African American woman to pilot a spacecraft. She also lived in a Mars analog environment to simulate what it might be like to live on the red planet.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Toilet Paper Is White
Learn about Starlink’s unintended consequences for astronomy from astrophysicist Vivienne Baldassare, NASA Einstein Postdoctoral Fellow at Yale University. Then, learn why toilet paper is white.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Vampire Bats Adopt Babies Too
Learn about why engineers tested a temporary “smart tattoo” that emits light via OLEDs; a female vampire bat that adopted her best friend’s baby after the friend’s death; and how you can sharpen your mind with device-free quiet time.