Episode Show Notes:
Curiosity Daily is in the 2021 People's Choice Podcast Awards — and you can vote for us to win! Register at https://podcastawards.com, select Curiosity Daily in the categories of Education and Science & Medicine, and then click/tap "save nominations" at the bottom of the page. Voting in other categories is optional. Your support is greatly appreciated!
LISTENER Q: Should you let a wound breathe or keep it covered? by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Brian)
- Bishop, S.M.; Walker, M.; Rogers, A.A.; Chen, W.Y.J. (2003). Importance of moisture balance at the wound-dressing interface. Journal of Wound Care, 12(4), 125–128. https://www.magonlinelibrary.com/doi/abs/10.12968/jowc.2003.12.4.26484
- The Claim: Wounds Heal Better When Exposed to Air (Published 2006). (2021). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/health/01real.html?_r=0
- Brouhard, R. (2021). Should I Use Neosporin on a Cut? Verywell Health. https://www.verywellhealth.com/should-i-use-neosporin-on-my-cut-1298910
- Smack, D. P. (1996). Infection and Allergy Incidence in Ambulatory Surgery Patients Using White Petrolatum vs Bacitracin Ointment. JAMA, 276(12), 972. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1996.03540120050033
Shopping online steers us away from sweets by Cameron Duke
- Consumers spent less on candy and desserts when shopping online. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-06/e-csl060221.php
- Shah, K. (2021). US consumers spend less on sweets and dessert when shopping online. New Scientist. https://www.newscientist.com/article/2279892-us-consumers-spend-less-on-sweets-and-dessert-when-shopping-online/
- Zatz, L. Y., Moran, A. J., Franckle, R. L., Block, J. P., Tao Hou, Blue, D., Greene, J. C., Gortmaker, S., Bleich, S. N., Polacsek, M., Thorndike, A. N., & Rimm, E. B. (2021). Comparing Online and In-Store Grocery Purchases. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 53(6), 471–479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2021.03.001
Scientists further abuse tardigrades by firing them out of a gun to see if they can survive space impacts by Grant Currin
- Starr, M. (2021). Scientists Fired Tardigrades Out of a Gun to See if They Can Survive Space Impacts. ScienceAlert. https://www.sciencealert.com/tardigrades-can-survive-high-velocity-impacts-after-being-fired-from-a-gun
- Tardigrade Survival Limits in High-Speed Impacts—Implications for Panspermia and Collection of Samples from Plumes Emitted by Ice Worlds. (2014). Astrobiology. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/ast.2020.2405
- Even hard-to-kill tardigrades can’t always survive being shot out of a gun. (2021, June 2). Science News. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/tardigrade-survival-shot-gun-crash-landing-planet
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.