Curiosity Daily Podcast: Bill Nye’s Earth Day Tips to Save Our Planet
To help you celebrate Earth Day, Bill Nye discusses some unexpected ways we can save our environment, including raising the standard of living for women and girls. Then, you’ll learn about why spicy solar panels capture more sunlight — with a little help from capsaicin.
April 22, 2021
Episode Show Notes:
Additional resources from Bill Nye:
- Official website https://billnye.com/
- Bill Nye’s podcast, Science Rules! https://www.askbillnye.com/
- Pick up “Bill Nye's Great Big World of Science” on Amazon https://amzn.to/3u8iKQi
- “Everything All at Once: How to Think Like a Science Guy, Solve Any Problem, and Make a Better World” on Amazon https://amzn.to/3whsk5j
- Follow @BillNye on Twitter https://twitter.com/BillNye
Spicy solar panels capture more sunlight by Grant Currin
- Major, J. (2021, January 13). Solar panels capture more sunlight with capsaicin - the chemical that makes chili peppers spicy. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/solar-panels-capture-more-sunlight-with-capsaicin-the-chemical-that-makes-chili-peppers-spicy-152901
- Xiong, S., et al. (2021). Direct Observation on p- to n-Type Transformation of Perovskite Surface Region during Defect Passivation Driving High Photovoltaic Efficiency. Joule, 5(2), 467–480. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joule.2020.12.009
- Fox, A. (2021, February 2). Chili Pepper Compound Increases Solar Cell Efficiency. Smithsonian Magazine; Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/chili-pepper-compound-increases-solar-cell-efficiency-180976893/
Follow Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free! You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Hollywood Gets Seances Wrong
Learn about how bacteria in your gut can produce electricity. Then, performer and lecturer Thom Britton will tell us about the origins of seances and how Hollywood gets them wrong.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Vampire Bats Adopt Babies Too
Learn about why engineers tested a temporary “smart tattoo” that emits light via OLEDs; a female vampire bat that adopted her best friend’s baby after the friend’s death; and how you can sharpen your mind with device-free quiet time.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Multitasking Keeps You Snacking
Learn about how rats might not have been all to blame for the bubonic plagues and why we’re more prone to mindlessly eat while we multitask.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Toilet Paper Is White
Learn about Starlink’s unintended consequences for astronomy from astrophysicist Vivienne Baldassare, NASA Einstein Postdoctoral Fellow at Yale University. Then, learn why toilet paper is white.