Curiosity Daily Podcast: Climate Justice 101 (w/ Katharine Hayhoe), Why Peanut Butter Gets Gum Out of Hair, and How Gaslighting Makes You Question Your Sanity
Learn about why peanut butter gets gum out of hair; why world-renowned climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe is so passionate about climate justice; and how gaslighting makes you question your sanity — along with some tips on how to protect yourself.
June 18, 2020
Episode Show Notes:
Why does peanut butter get gum out of hair? by Andrea Michelson
- UCSB Science Line. (2020). Ucsb.edu. http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2036
- Polar Protic? Polar Aprotic? Nonpolar? All About Solvents. (2012, April 27). Master Organic Chemistry. https://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2012/04/27/polar-protic-polar-aprotic-nonpolar-all-about-solvents/
- What Happens to Nonpolar Molecules in Water? (2018). Sciencing. https://sciencing.com/happens-nonpolar-molecules-water-8633386.html
- How Does Peanut Butter Remove Gum From Hair? (2017). LEAFtv. https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-does-peanut-butter-remove-gum-from-hair/
Additional resources from Katharine Hayhoe:
- Katharine Hayhoe: The most important thing you can do to fight climate change: talk about it. (2020). Ted.com. https://www.ted.com/talks/katharine_hayhoe_the_most_important_thing_you_can_do_to_fight_climate_change_talk_about_it
- Official website http://www.katharinehayhoe.com/wp2016/
- Follow @KHayhoe on Twitter https://twitter.com/KHayhoe
- Pick up “A Climate for Change: Global Warming Facts for Faith-Based Decisions” on Amazon https://amzn.to/36RUK9O
- New Climate Voices – Fighting climate change one voice at a time. (2020). Newclimatevoices.org. http://www.newclimatevoices.org/
- Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined. (2020). Skeptical Science. https://skepticalscience.com/
How Gaslighting Makes You Question Your Sanity by Ashley Hamer
- Gaslight (1944). (2010). Filmsite.org. https://www.filmsite.org/gasl.html
- What is Gaslighting? | The National Domestic Violence Hotline. (2014, May 29). The National Domestic Violence Hotline. https://www.thehotline.org/2014/05/29/what-is-gaslighting/
- 11 Warning Signs of Gaslighting. (2017). Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/here-there-and-everywhere/201701/11-warning-signs-gaslighting
- Are Gaslighters Aware of What They Do? (2017). Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/here-there-and-everywhere/201701/are-gaslighters-aware-what-they-do
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Hope in the Fight Against Climate Change (w/ Katharine Hayhoe) and Overcoming Bedtime Procrastination
Renowned climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe explains why climate change isn’t as “doom and gloom” as you might think, and gives tips for how to talk about it to inspire action. Plus: learn about how to overcome “bedtime procrastination.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How We Know Climate Change Is Caused by Humans (w/ Katharine Hayhoe) and the Myth of “Common Sense”
Renowned climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe explains how we know that climate change is caused by humans. Then, learn about why there’s no such thing as “common sense.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Facts Don’t Win Arguments, SETI 101, Self-Control Pitfalls
Learn why self-control isn’t always good for you; why you can’t win an argument using facts; and what SETI is looking for.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Quantum Computing 101: Qubits and Entanglement (w/ Professor Chris Bernhardt)
Learn about qubits and quantum entanglement with some help from Chris Bernhardt, author of the new book “Quantum Computing for Everyone.” Plus, learn about 6 magic words for defusing conflict.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Tracking and Adventuring 101 (w/ Forrest Galante) and Plagiarizing Without Realizing It
Forrest Galante, host of “Extinct or Alive” on Animal Planet, explains how to become an adventurer, survive extreme conditions, and find extinct animals. Then, you’ll learn about how “cryptomnesia” can make you plagiarize without realizing it.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: GMO Food Science 101 and How to Hear Someone in a Noisy Room
Learn about GMOs with help from Dr. Patrick Cournoyer of the FDA. Plus: a trick for hearing someone in a noisy room.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Antimatter 101 (w/ Everyday Einstein), How to Avoid Bed Bugs, and Uberman Sleep Cycle
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com — and learn about antimatter from Everyday Einstein of Quick and Dirty Tips — to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Making Life Decisions on a Coin Flip, How You Respond to 2 Types of Injustice, and Why Otters Juggle Rocks
Learn about why flipping a coin might be your best bet when making major life decisions; why otters juggle rocks; and how you respond differently to 2 types of injustice.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Periodical Cicadas 101, Why Smarter People Choke Under Pressure, and Analyzing DNA to Solve the Dead Sea Scrolls Mystery
Learn why periodical cicadas come out every 13 or 17 years; why people with high cognitive abilities tend to choke under pressure; and how DNA analysis could solve the mystery of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.