Curiosity Dailly Podcast: Parents’ Brains Sync When They’re Together, the Genius Math Behind Credit Card Numbers, and July’s Curiosity Challenge Trivia
Learn about the Luhn algorithm (the genius math behind credit card numbers) and how parents’ brains synchronize when they’re together. Then, play along at home and test your podcast knowledge with this month’s Curiosity Challenge trivia game.
August 07, 2020
Episode Show Notes:
The genius math behind credit card numbers by Cameron Duke
- Berry, N. (2014, January 8). How Credit Card Numbers Work. Gizmodo; Gizmodo. https://gizmodo.com/how-credit-card-numbers-work-1493331190
- Concerning Reality. (2018). The Secret Algorithm in Your Credit Card Number [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr9s5NjsVAo
- Juber Moulvi Abdul. (2018, April 24). Mathematics behind Credit/Debit card numbering. Medium. https://email@example.com/mathematics-behind-credit-debit-card-numbering-340bf68d27d2
Parents' brains sync when they're together by Steffie Drucker
- Presence of spouse alters how parents’ brains react to children stimuli, finds NTU Singapore study. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/ntu-pos051220.php
- Azhari, A., Lim, M., Bizzego, A., Gabrieli, G., Bornstein, M. H., & Esposito, G. (2020). Physical presence of spouse enhances brain-to-brain synchrony in co-parenting couples. Scientific Reports, 10(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-63596-2
- Vuchinich, S., Emery, R. E., & Cassidy, J. (1988). Family Members as Third Parties in Dyadic Family Conflict: Strategies, Alliances, and Outcomes. Child Development, 59(5), 1293–1302. JSTOR. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130492
Episodes referenced in Curiosity Challenge Trivia with Kyann
- Saturated Fat Could Kill Your Focus, Animals Have Regional Accents, and Rings Around Mars https://www.curiositydaily.com/saturated-fat-could-kill-your-focus-animals-have-regional-accents-and-rings-around-mars/
- The First Prescription Video Game, Solving the Mystery of Short-Term Memory, and Hummingbirds’ Extraordinary Vision https://www.curiositydaily.com/the-first-prescription-video-game-solving-the-mystery-of-short-term-memory-and-hummingbirds-extraordinary-vision/
- You Navigate with Your Nose, Busting 5 Summer Myths, and Using Horseshoe Crabs’ Blue Blood to Develop New Medicine https://www.curiositydaily.com/you-navigate-with-your-nose-busting-5-summer-myths-and-using-horseshoe-crabs-blue-blood-to-develop-new-medicine/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: 5G Might Impair Weather Forecasts
Learn about how 5G may impair weather forecasts, and how the first confirmed exoplanet was discovered a lot more recently than you may realize. Plus, science writer John Tierney is back to explore how negativity bias affects our relationships.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Insecure People Use More Jargon
Learn about how naked mole-rats invade neighboring colonies and steal babies, the average person is hiding 13 secrets, and people use more jargon when they're insecure about their status.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Toilet Paper Is White
Learn about Starlink’s unintended consequences for astronomy from astrophysicist Vivienne Baldassare, NASA Einstein Postdoctoral Fellow at Yale University. Then, learn why toilet paper is white.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Vampire Bats Adopt Babies Too
Learn about why engineers tested a temporary “smart tattoo” that emits light via OLEDs; a female vampire bat that adopted her best friend’s baby after the friend’s death; and how you can sharpen your mind with device-free quiet time.