Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Math Bias That Makes You Misjudge COVID-19
Learn how the mathematical mistake of exponential growth bias makes people underestimate the spread of COVID-19, how crocodiles have survived since the dinosaurs, and how puns activate both sides of the brain.
Episode Show Notes:
"Exponential growth bias" can make people underestimate COVID-19 by Steffie Drucker
- Robson, D. (2020). Exponential growth bias: The numerical error behind Covid-19. BBC.Com. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200812-exponential-growth-bias-the-numerical-error-behind-covid-19
- Shlomo Benartzi. (2019, June 17). If You Don’t Save Enough, Perhaps You Have ‘Exponential Growth Bias.’ WSJ; The Wall Street Journal. https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-dont-save-enough-perhaps-you-have-exponential-growth-bias-11560737101
- Dispatch 1: Numbers | Radiolab | WNYC Studios. (2020). WNYC Studios. https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/dispatch-numbers
- Lammers, J., Crusius, J., & Gast, A. (2020). Correcting misperceptions of exponential coronavirus growth increases support for social distancing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117(28), 16264–16266. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2006048117
- Banerjee, R., Bhattacharya, J., & Majumdar, P. (2020). Exponential-growth prediction bias and compliance with safety measures in the times of COVID-19. ArXiv.Org. https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.01273
Crocodiles Are Prehistoric Monsters Who Survived The Dinosaur's Extinction by Reuben Westmaas
- Pappas, S. (2017, July 5). Super Croc with T. Rex Teeth May Have Chowed Down on Dinosaurs. Livescience.Com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/59697-super-croc-with-t-rex-teeth-ate-dinosaurs.html
- Osborne, H. (2017, July 4). Ancient Giant “Ghost” Crocodile With T-Rex-Sized Teeth Discovered in Madagascar. Newsweek; Newsweek. https://www.newsweek.com/ancient-giant-crocodie-t-rex-teeth-madagascar-631590
- Nova. (1998, April 28). The Extraordinary Lives of Crocs. Pbs.Org; Nova. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/extraordinary-lives-of-crocs/
“Getting” Puns Means Both Sides of Your Brain Are Working Together by Reuben Westmaas
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.