Curiosity Daily Podcast: To the Moon Artemis, Oh Snap!, The Skunky Funk of Cannabis
Today, you’ll learn about a super exciting space program, blasting off in a few months, that will take us back to the moon for the first time in 50 years, how the simple snap of your fingers actually involves some cool physics, and the chemistry behind the skunky stank of cannabis.
Episode show notes:
We’re going back to the moon, for the first time in 50 years!
- Artemis-I: https://www.nasa.gov/artemisprogram
- Artemis: https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis/
- Artemis Program: https://www.nasa.gov/artemisprogram
- Around the Moon with NASA’s First Launch of SLS with Orion: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/around-the-moon-with-nasa-s-first-launch-of-sls-with-orion
- NASA Readies Rocket for Artemis I Wet Dress Rehearsal: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-readies-rocket-for-artemis-i-wet-dress-rehearsal
- The Artemis Plan: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/artemis_plan-20200921.pdf
- Rocket Weight and Thrust: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/sls_reference_guide_2022_web.pdf
NASA's Artemis 1 moon rocket reaches the launch pad by Brendan Byrne
NASA's Artemis program will land the first person of color on the moon by Ashley Strickland
NASA's Artemis 1 moon megarocket rolls out to the launch pad today and you can watch it live by Chelsea Gohd
Why NASA’s new ‘Mega Moon Rocket’ is so incredible by Adam Mann
SpaceX Starship: Stunning Concept Art Reveals NASA’s New Lunar Lander by Mike Brown
Inventions we use everyday that were actually created for space exploration by Josie Green
How Heavy Is A School Bus? (Empty And Full) by Measuring Stuff
Thanos’ snap - is it actually possible? We’re not only exploring if it’ll work but the physics behind snapping your fingers.
New high-speed video reveals the physics of a finger snap by Emily Conover
The Surprising Physics of Finger Snapping by Karen Hopkin
The ultrafast snap of a finger is mediated by skin friction by Raghav Acharya, Elio J. Challita, Mark Ilton and M. Saad Bhamla
How a Single Finger Snap Became a Scientific Game-Changer by Cayla Mihalovich
Snapping your fingers is a move worthy of a professional athlete by Elana Spivack
Why does weed smell like… well, weed?
Why does cannabis smell skunky? by John Arnst
Great News, Scientists Finally Figured Out Why Cannabis Smells 'Skunky' by Carly Cassella
Here’s the chemistry behind marijuana’s skunky scent by Ariana Remmel
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.