Curiosity Daily Podcast: Was Farming Really a Step Up for Hunter-Gatherers?
Science journalist and author James Nestor explains how you can breathe better. Then, learn about the secret identity of Bitcoin creator “Satoshi Nakamoto” and whether farming really was a step up for our hunter-gatherer ancestors.
Episode Show Notes:
Additional resources for James Nestor:
No One Knows the Identity of Bitcoin's Creator by Cody Gough
- Patron, T. (2014, December). Who Is Satoshi Nakamoto? – Diginomics Corporation. Diginomics.com. https://diginomics.com/2014/11/09/who-is-satoshi-nakamoto/
- Decoding the Enigma of Satoshi Nakamoto and the Birth of Bitcoin (Published 2015). (2021). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/business/decoding-the-enigma-of-satoshi-nakamoto-and-the-birth-of-bitcoin.html?_r=0
- Business Insider UK. (2016, June 14). The mysterious creator of bitcoin is sitting on a $700 million fortune - Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/satoshi-nakamoto-owns-one-million-bitcoin-700-price-2016-6
- Satoshi Nakamoto. (2019, November 20). Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System. Manubot. https://git.dhimmel.com/bitcoin-whitepaper/
- Wallace, B. (2011, November 23). The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin. WIRED. https://www.wired.com/2011/11/mf-bitcoin/
- Leah McGrath Goodman. (2014, March 6). The Face Behind Bitcoin. Newsweek. https://www.newsweek.com/2014/03/14/face-behind-bitcoin-247957.html
- Nour Al Ali, & Kingdon, C. (2017, November 28). Musk: I Am Not Bitcoin’s Satoshi Nakamoto. Bloomberg.com; Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-28/elon-musk-tweets-to-debunk-speculation-that-he-s-behind-bitcoin
Was farming really a step up for our hunter-gatherer ancestors? by Cameron Duke
- Bocquet-Appel, J.-P. (2011). When the World’s Population Took Off: The Springboard of the Neolithic Demographic Transition. Science, 333(6042), 560–561. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1208880
- Dyble, M., Thorley, J., Page, A. E., Smith, D., & Migliano, A. B. (2019). Engagement in agricultural work is associated with reduced leisure time among Agta hunter-gatherers. Nature Human Behaviour, 3(8), 792–796. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41562-019-0614-6
- Gallagher, S. (2019, April 21). What Can Hunter-Gatherers Teach Us about Staying Healthy? Duke Global Health Institute. https://globalhealth.duke.edu/news/what-can-hunter-gatherers-teach-us-about-staying-healthy
- O’Grady, C. (2019, May 24). Hunter-gathering seems to have been easier than farming. Ars Technica; Ars Technica. https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/05/adopting-agriculture-means-less-leisure-time-for-women/
- Sahlins, M. (2006). The politics of egalitarianism : theory and practice (J. S. Solway, Ed.; pp. 79–98). Berghahn Books. http://www.vizkult.org/propositions/alineinnature/pdfs/Sahlin-OriginalAffluentSociety-abridged.pdf
- Yuval Noah Harari. (2019). Sapiens. Random House Uk.
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.