Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Are Monoclonal Antibodies? (w/ Dr. Lawrence Purpura)
Dr. Lawrence Purpura explains monoclonal antibodies and the different types of treatments that could help us fight the coronavirus. Plus: learn about the Oddo-Harkins rule and why the universe seems to hate odd numbers.
December 15, 2020
Episode Show Notes:
Why the Universe Seems to Hate Odd Numbers by Cameron Duke
- Inglis-Arkell, E. (2013a, January 24). One physical phenomenon that orders our entire universe. Io9; io9. https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-physical-phenomenon-that-orders-our-entire-universe-5978221
- Inglis-Arkell, E. (2013b, October 17). The Oddo-Harkins Rule shows the universe hates the odd. Io9; io9. https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-oddo-harkins-rule-shows-the-universe-hates-the-odd-1446581327
- Prantzos, N., & Ekström, S. (2011). Stellar Nucleosynthesis. Encyclopedia of Astrobiology, 1584–1592. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-11274-4_1084
- The evolution of the elements and the stability of complex atoms. I. a new periodic system which shows a relation between the abundance of the elements and the structure of the nuclei of atoms. (2019). Acs.org. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja02250a002
Additional resources from Dr. Lawrence Purpura:
- Lawrence Purpura's publications on ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/Lawrence-Purpura-2115048786
- Interview with Dr. Purpura about his upcoming appearance on NYT's "The Weekly": https://icap.columbia.edu/profile-icap-fellow-lawrence-purpura-to-feature-in-nyt-documentary-on-hulu-and-fx/
- Columbia University's Division of Infectious Diseases: https://www.infectiousdiseases.cumc.columbia.edu/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Laziness Isn’t What You Think (w/ Dr. Devon Price)
Learn about how we know that an asteroid killed the dinosaurs. We’ll also talk to social psychologist and author Devon Price about how laziness might actually benefit us.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Cancer Evolves in the Body (w/ Dr. Kat Arney)
Learn about the impressive memories of goldfish. Plus, hear from Dr. Kat Arney about why an evolutionary perspective may be the key to fighting cancer.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Left Digit Bias w/ Dr. Bapu Jena and Bird-Catching Neanderthals
Learn about how “left digit bias” affects your decisions and why researchers caught birds in caves with their bare hands.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What’s the Deal with Hot Flashes? (w/ OB-GYN Dr. Jen Gunter)
Learn about what antimatter is and how we discovered it. Then, Dr. Gen Gunter will demystify menopause.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Narcissism Lessons, The War-Stopping Eclipse (w/ Dr. David Warmflash), and Toothed Tumors
Learn about the trait you can borrow from narcissists to boost your professional and academic success; the groundbreaking and potentially life-saving discovery that came from studying tumors that can grow teeth; and the story of how a solar eclipse prediction helped end a war, restore an economy, and build a philosophy school that trained a couple of history’s greatest minds, with some help from Dr. David Warmflash.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Superbugs and Antibiotic Resistance (w/ Dr. Matt McCarthy) and Third-Person Pep Talks
Learn why talking to yourself in the third person can help you keep your emotions in check. Then, learn about “superbugs” (and why we need to stop them) with Dr. Matt McCarthy, author of the new book “Superbugs: The Race to Stop an Epidemic.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: When the Pursuit of Knowledge Goes Wrong (w/ Physicist Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein)
Learn about Mauna Kea and how the pursuit of knowledge can be harmful. Plus: the smallest measurement of gravity ever.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Craving Healthy Foods, What Grew Astronomy (w/ Dr. David Warmflash), $1 Million Math Problems
Learn about why starting an exercise routine might give you healthier food cravings; math problems that you could get a million dollars for solving; and the story of what drove the growth of astronomy in the Middle Ages, with some help from Dr. David Warmflash.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Developing Drugs to Fight Superbugs (w/ Dr. Matt McCarthy) and What Dark Mode Does
Learn about whether dark mode really is easier on your eyes, according to research. Then, learn about how new antibiotics are being developed with Dr. Matt McCarthy, author of the new book “Superbugs: The Race to Stop an Epidemic.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Inside the Human Eye (w/ Dr. Anthony St. Leger), Dating-App Addiction, and Old-Timey Bicycles
Learn about how studying the eye microbiome can improve human health, with help from Dr. Anthony St. Leger; why old-timey penny-farthing bicycles had one giant wheel; and, how to avoid the dangers of dating-app addiction.