Episode Show Notes:
Additional resources from Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein:
- Pick up "The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, & Dreams Deferred" on Amazon: https://amzn.to/32JjzDu
- Website: http://www.cprescodweinstein.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI
Learn more about Mauna Kea:
- Pu’uhuluhulu, P. o. (2020). Pu’uhonua o Pu’uhuluhulu. https://www.puuhuluhulu.com/
- TMT International Observatory. (2020). TIO. https://www.tmt.org/
- United States Public Law 103-150, informally known as the Apology Resolution: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STATUTE-107/pdf/STATUTE-107-Pg1510.pdf
- Maunakea and TMT misinformation fact check | University of Hawaii System. (2021). Hawaii.edu. https://www.hawaii.edu/maunakea-stewardship/maunakea-tmt-fact-check/
Scientists captured the smallest measurement of gravity on record by Briana Brownell
- Rothleitner, C. (2021). Ultra-weak gravitational field detected. Nature, 591(7849), 209–210. https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-021-00591-1
- Westphal, T., Hepach, H., Pfaff, J., & Aspelmeyer, M. (2021). Measurement of gravitational coupling between millimetre-sized masses. Nature, 591(7849), 225–228. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-021-03250-7
- Lewis, G. (2016, February 12). Timeline: the history of gravity. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/timeline-the-history-of-gravity-54528
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: 5G Might Impair Weather Forecasts
Learn about how 5G may impair weather forecasts, and how the first confirmed exoplanet was discovered a lot more recently than you may realize. Plus, science writer John Tierney is back to explore how negativity bias affects our relationships.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Single-A Batteries Exist?
Learn about whether there’s such a thing as “single A” batteries; 5 surprising ways volunteering improves your physical health; and how duckbill dinosaurs may have crossed an ocean to reach Africa.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Go Ahead, Google Your Symptoms
Learn about the benefits of Googling symptoms; truly random number generation; and why science is about storytelling.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Octopuses Have Sleep Cycles, Too
Learn about imaginary beams of motion coming from people’s eyes; where lost luggage ends up; and octopus sleep cycles.