Episode Show Notes:
Animals keep evolving into crabs by Grant Currin
- Delbert, C. (2020, October 19). Animals Keep Evolving Into Crabs, Which Is Somewhat Disturbing. Popular Mechanics; Popular Mechanics. https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a34389129/crab-evolution-carcinization/
- Crustaceans. (2015). Mesa.Edu.Au. http://www.mesa.edu.au/crustaceans/crustaceans05a.asp
- PBS Eons. (2020). Why Do Things Keep Evolving Into Crabs? [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvfR3XLXPvw
- Keiler, J., Wirkner, C. S., & Richter, S. (2017). One hundred years of carcinization – the evolution of the crab-like habitus in Anomura (Arthropoda: Crustacea). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 121(1), 200–222. https://doi.org/10.1093/biolinnean/blw031
Is Water Wet? Listener question answered by Ashley Hamer and Cody Gough
Is There Any Truth Behind the Old Adage "Feed a Cold, Starve a Fever"? by Joanie Faletto
- Fischetti, M. (2014, January 3). Fact or Fiction?: Feed a Cold, Starve a Fever. Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-feed-a-cold/
- Wang, A., Huen, S. C., Luan, H. H., Yu, S., Zhang, C., Gallezot, J.-D., Booth, C. J., & Medzhitov, R. (2016). Opposing Effects of Fasting Metabolism on Tissue Tolerance in Bacterial and Viral Inflammation. Cell, 166(6), 1512-1525.e12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2016.07.026
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Multitasking Keeps You Snacking
Learn about how rats might not have been all to blame for the bubonic plagues and why we’re more prone to mindlessly eat while we multitask.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why There Are Monkeys If We Evolved From Them (w/ Natalia Reagan), Adult Chickenpox, and Disaster Survival Traits
Learn what personality traits it takes to survive a disaster, and why chickenpox is so much worse for adults. Plus, special guest Natalia Reagan answers the question: if we evolved from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why You Should Face Your Fears, Rekindling Romance with Cute Animals, and Naming Black Holes
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: 5G Might Impair Weather Forecasts
Learn about how 5G may impair weather forecasts, and how the first confirmed exoplanet was discovered a lot more recently than you may realize. Plus, science writer John Tierney is back to explore how negativity bias affects our relationships.