Episode Show Notes:
Early birds adjust to time changes faster than night owls by Grant Currin
- “Springing forward” affects early birds less than night owls, study finds. (2021, July 20). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/472466
- Nield, D. (2021). Your Genes Could Affect How Well Your Body Adjusts to Daylight Saving Changes. ScienceAlert. https://www.sciencealert.com/how-well-we-adjust-to-daylight-saving-time-can-depend-on-our-genetics
- Tyler, J., Fang, Y., Goldstein, C., Forger, D., Sen, S., & Burmeister, M. (2021). Genomic heterogeneity affects the response to Daylight Saving Time. Scientific Reports, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-94459-z
More from archaeologist Patrick Roberts:
- Pick up "Jungle: How Tropical Forests Shaped the World — and Us": https://www.basicbooks.com/titles/patrick-roberts/jungle/9781541600096/
- Website: https://www.patrickjroberts.com/
- Follow @palaeotropics on Twitter: https://twitter.com/palaeotropics
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Sustainable Palm Oil Shopping Guide app: https://www.cmzoo.org/conservation/orangutans-palm-oil/sustainable-palm-oil-shopping-app/
- WWF Palm Oil Buyers Scorecard: http://palmoilscorecard.panda.org/
Spiky ice cubes by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Monica in Los Angeles)
- Occasionally the ice cubes in my freezer’s ice trays will develop a stalagmitelike shape without any obvious, unusual interference. Can you please explain what causes this? (2007, April 30). Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-ice-spikes/
- Spikes on Ice Cubes. (2011). Utoronto.ca. https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~smorris/edl/icespikes/icespikes.html
- Monica’s ice spike picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oHVKZkDqGF5ktgNxnIU7QceAKa9u6-e0/view?usp=sharing
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Explorers Club - Sian Proctor
Today, we are lucky enough to hear from a highly accomplished explorer who has some incredible experiences to share with us. Dr. Sian Proctor was the mission pilot for the Inspiration4, which is the all-civilian orbital mission to space and she’s the first African American woman to pilot a spacecraft. She also lived in a Mars analog environment to simulate what it might be like to live on the red planet.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Octopuses Have Sleep Cycles, Too
Learn about imaginary beams of motion coming from people’s eyes; where lost luggage ends up; and octopus sleep cycles.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Toilet Paper Is White
Learn about Starlink’s unintended consequences for astronomy from astrophysicist Vivienne Baldassare, NASA Einstein Postdoctoral Fellow at Yale University. Then, learn why toilet paper is white.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: 5G Might Impair Weather Forecasts
Learn about how 5G may impair weather forecasts, and how the first confirmed exoplanet was discovered a lot more recently than you may realize. Plus, science writer John Tierney is back to explore how negativity bias affects our relationships.