Episode Show Notes:
Join Cody and Ashley for a special live stream celebrating Curiosity Daily’s 1,000th episode! Leave us a voicemail at 312-596-5208 or email a voice recording to firstname.lastname@example.org and share your favorite fact you've learned from the podcast, and you may hear your message on the stream! Register for free here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/curiosity-dailys-1000th-episode-celebration-tickets-191163133077
Crowdsourced fact checking might actually work on social media by Steffie Drucker
- Study: Crowds can wise up to fake news. (2021, September). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/926824
- Allen, J., Arechar, A. A., Pennycook, G., & Rand, D. G. (2021). Scaling up fact-checking using the wisdom of crowds. Science Advances, 7(36). https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abf4393
- Edelman, G. (2021, September 9). Can the Wisdom of Crowds Help Fix Social Media’s Trust Issue? Wired. Retrieved September 27, 2021, from https://www.wired.com/story/could-wisdom-of-crowds-help-fix-social-media-trust-problem
Monkeys choke under pressure just like humans do, which gives us a chance to better understand it by Grant Currin
- Levy, M. G. (2021, September 2). You’re Not Alone: Monkeys Choke Under Pressure Too. Wired; WIRED. https://www.wired.com/story/youre-not-alone-monkeys-choke-under-pressure-too/
- Smoulder, A. L., Pavlovsky, N. P., Marino, P. J., Degenhart, A. D., McClain, N. T., Batista, A. P., & Chase, S. M. (2021). Monkeys exhibit a paradoxical decrease in performance in high-stakes scenarios. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(35), e2109643118. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2109643118
Scientists just built a mantis shrimp punching robot for the US Army by Cameron Duke
- Mantis Shrimps. (2021). Qld.gov.au. https://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Explore/Find+out+about/Animals+of+Queensland/Crustaceans/Common+marine+crustaceans/Mantis+Shrimps#.U7ZwLPmSxMg
- Small, mighty robots mimic the powerful punch of mantis shrimp. (2021, September 9). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/927975
- Steinhardt, E., Hyun, N. P., Koh, J., Freeburn, G., Rosen, M. H., Temel, F. Z., Patek, S. N., & Wood, R. J. (2021). A physical model of mantis shrimp for exploring the dynamics of ultrafast systems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(33), e2026833118. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2026833118
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.