Episode Show Notes:
What does it mean for a company to be carbon neutral? by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Jeff in Saint Paul)
- Bernoville, T. (2021, June 8). What is the difference between carbon-neutral, net-zero and climate positive? - Plan A Academy. https://plana.earth/academy/what-is-difference-between-carbon-neutral-net-zero-climate-positive/
- Nguyen, T. (2020, March 5). Starbucks, Microsoft, JetBlue, and other companies want to be carbon-neutral. What does that mean? Vox; Vox. https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/3/5/21155020/companies-carbon-neutral-climate-positive
- Umair Irfan. (2020, February 27). Carbon offsets, the popular climate change mitigation tactic, explained. Vox; Vox. https://www.vox.com/2020/2/27/20994118/carbon-offset-climate-change-net-zero-neutral-emissions
- Reuters Staff. (2020, January 6). JetBlue to become carbon neutral in 2020. U.S. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-jetblue-environment/jetblue-to-become-carbon-neutral-in-2020-idUSKBN1Z5237
- Carbon Neutral vs. Net Zero: let’s get the terminology right! — ClimateSeed. (2015). Climateseed.com; ClimateSeed. https://climateseed.com/blog/carbon-neutral-vs-net-zero-let-s-get-the-terminology-right
We just found one of the earliest manuscript fragments of the Merlin legend, with a new take by Cameron Duke
- Bristol manuscript fragments of the famous Merlin legend among the oldest of their kind. (2021). Bristol.ac.uk. http://bristol.ac.uk/news/2021/september/bristol-merlin-update.html
- Schultz, I. (2021, September 3). Rare, Early Version of the King Arthur Legend Translated by Researchers. Gizmodo; Gizmodo. https://gizmodo.com/rare-early-version-of-the-king-arthur-legend-translate-1847610935
- Durn, S. (2021, September 16). Found: An Early Merlin Tale, Hidden for Centuries. Atlas Obscura; Atlas Obscura. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/medieval-merlin-manuscript-discovered
- Smithsonian Magazine, & Gershon, L. (2021, September 17). Rediscovered Medieval Manuscript Offers New Twist on Arthurian Legend. Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/rediscovered-medieval-manuscript-offers-new-twist-on-arthurian-legend-180978705
More from zoologist Bill Schutt:
- Pick up "Pump: A Natural History of the Heart" https://www.workman.com/products/pump
- Website: https://billschutt.com/
- Follow @BillSchuttBooks on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BillSchuttBooks
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BillSchutt1/
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Hollywood Gets Seances Wrong
Learn about how bacteria in your gut can produce electricity. Then, performer and lecturer Thom Britton will tell us about the origins of seances and how Hollywood gets them wrong.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Some Viruses Do You Good
Learn about how blind and low-vision gamers have an edge when it comes to certain games, with Cornell University Professor Andrew Campana. Then, learn how some viruses actually protect their hosts; and the shocking solution to the Monty Hall Problem, an infamous brain teaser that may leave you questioning your math skills.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Explorers Club - Steve Elkins
Today, we’re hearing from an explorer and filmmaker named Steve Elkins. Steve spent decades searching for a legendary lost city deep in the jungles of Honduras. His search for the city was documented in the New York Times best-selling book, “The Lost City of the Monkey God,” by Douglas Preston.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Go Ahead, Google Your Symptoms
Learn about the benefits of Googling symptoms; truly random number generation; and why science is about storytelling.