Episode Show Notes:
How COVID PCR tests work by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Lydia)
- Tiner, S. (2020, March 27). The Science Behind the Test for the COVID-19 VirusDiscovery’s Edge. Https://Discoverysedge.mayo.edu/. https://discoverysedge.mayo.edu/2020/03/27/the-science-behind-the-test-for-the-covid-19-virus/
- Amoeba Sisters. (2020). PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5jmdh9AnS4
- PCR: Thirty-five years and counting. (2018, May 10). PCR: Thirty-five years and counting. Science | AAAS. https://www.sciencemag.org/features/2018/05/pcr-thirty-five-years-and-counting
- Ask A Scientist Staff. (2020, October 23). Why qPCR is the gold standard for COVID-19 testing. Ask a Scientist; Thermo Fisher Scientific. https://www.thermofisher.com/blog/ask-a-scientist/why-qpcr-is-the-gold-standard-for-covid-19-testing/
Additional resources from David Sumpter:
- Pick up "The Ten Equations that Rule the World and How You Can Use Them Too": https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/314/314406/the-ten-equations-that-rule-the-world/9780241404546.html
- Faculty page: https://katalog.uu.se/profile/?id=N7-525
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/soccermatics?lang=en
Dogs have talent, yes they do by Steffie Drucker
- Not only humans got talent, dogs got it too! (2021, July 7). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/553737
- Fugazza, C., Dror, S., Sommese, A., Temesi, A., & Miklósi, Á. (2021). Word learning dogs (Canis familiaris) provide an animal model for studying exceptional performance. Scientific Reports, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-93581-2
- Genius Dog Challenge. (2021). Exceptional DOGS & what they can TEACH us [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF6ZpjdH2Sc
- Follow Christina Hunger, Speech Pathologist, on Instagram @Hunger4Words https://www.instagram.com/hunger4words/?hl=en
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing: Dogs 101
From Animal Planet comes a new podcast, Dogs 101, where you'll get a rundown of all your favorite dog breeds. Check out the first episode, "Puppies" here.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: There’s No Such Thing as a Hypoallergenic Dog
Learn about why there’s no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog; why you should praise kids for their work ethic, not their smarts; and why you should never put coffee grounds in your garden.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Your Dog’s Paws Smell Like Corn Chips
Learn about why you shouldn’t add oil to your pasta water; a simple way to help kids think better; and why your dog’s paws smell like corn chips.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Backward Letters, Dogs Detect Lies, Neutron Star Mountains
Learn about why children write letters backward; how dogs know when you’re lying to them; and mountains on neutron stars.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Saving Dogs from Fireworks, Benjamin Franklin’s Productivity Schedule, and Supportive Texting
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Self-Defense Amputations, Unique English Words, and How Puppy-Dog Eyes Evolved
Learn about how animals evolved to amputate their limbs in self-defence; how dogs literally have human friendship in their DNA; and English words that don’t exist in other languages.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Simple Quantum Physics (w/ George Greenstein), Parachute-less Falling, and Dog Adoption
Learn about a simple way to explain quantum physics, with a special guest, astrophysicisist George Greenstein. You’ll also learn about how to survive falling without a parachute, and how to avoid “speed-dating mistakes” when adopting a dog.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Forcing Functions and “Super Thinking,” Rosalind Franklin’s Story, and Dogs Smelling Fear
Learn about the truth behind Rosalind Franklin’s contributions to science; a mental model called “forcing functions” you can use to be more thoughtful and produce better results; and, whether dogs can smell fear.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Extinct Human Species (w/ Elizabeth Sawchuk and Mary Prendergast) and Moody Teenage Dogs
Researchers Elizabeth Sawchuk and Mary Prendergast will talk about the lessons we’ve learned from amazing new discoveries of extinct human species. Plus: learn about how dogs can be moody teenagers, too.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Leaders Can Be Too Extroverted, The Cutest Age for a Puppy, and Goldbach’s Conjecture
Learn about the Goldbach conjecture, a simple math problem that’s never been solved; why researchers studied the cutest age for a puppy; and why extroverted leaders can have too much of a good thing.