Curiosity Daily Podcast: Space Slingshot, Ancient Modern Pants, Lifesaving Silence
Hear about a slingshot launching payloads into space, the impressively modern-looking world’s oldest pants, and how moth wings are able to absorb sound to avoid detection from bats.
Episode show notes:
A different kind of slingshot.
- “NASA Will Test Gigantic Centrifuge for Hurling Objects Into Space” by George Dvorsky
- “NASA to Test SpinLaunch, a Giant Slingshot for Launching Satellites Into Space” by Eric Mack
Very very old pants.
- “The world’s oldest pants are a 3,000-year-old engineering marvel” by Kiona Smith
- “The world’s oldest pants stitched together cultures from across Asia” by Bruce Bower
Moth sound absorbers.
- “Moth wing-inspired sound absorbing wallpaper in sight after breakthrough” by The University of Bristol
- “Moth wings as sound absorber metasurface” by Thomas R. Neil, Zhiyuan Shen, Daniel Robert, Bruce W. Drinkwater and Marc W. Holderied
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.