Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Don’t We Have Battery-Powered Airplanes?
Learn about how a planet-friendly diet also tends to be healthier and why we don’t have battery-powered airplanes. But first, social psychologist and author Devon Price is back to explain how we can all avoid burnout.
Episode Show Notes:
Additional resources from Dr. Devon Price:
- Preorder "Laziness Does Not Exist" on Amazon: https://amzn.to/393WHTM
- Dr. Devon Price on Twitter: https://twitter.com/drdevonprice
- Dr. Devon Price on Medium: https://devonprice.medium.com/
A Planet-Friendly Diet Also Tends to Be Healthier by Sonja Hodgson
- Brannon-Tulane, K. (2019, January 24). Climate-friendly diets tend to be good for us - Futurity. Futurity. https://www.futurity.org/climate-friendly-healthier-diets-1964632-2/
- Rose, D., Heller, M.C., Willits-Smith, A.M., Meyer, R.J. (2019 March). Carbon footprint of self-selected US diets: nutritional, demographic, and behavioral correlates. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqy327
Why don’t we have battery-powered airplanes? by Cameron Duke
- Baraniuk, C. (2020). The largest electric plane ever to fly. BBC.Com. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200617-the-largest-electric-plane-ever-to-fly
- Dries Verstraete. (2019, September 20). Climate explained: why don’t we have electric aircraft? The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/climate-explained-why-dont-we-have-electric-aircraft-123910
- E&T editorial staff. (2020, January 31). EasyJet partner takes ‘crucial step’ towards electric plane. TheIET.Org. https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2020/01/easyjet-partner-takes-crucial-step-towards-its-first-electric-plane/
- Rogan, J. Europe’s new aviation vision: is electric the future? (2018, July 3). Venner Shipley. Vennershipley.Co.Uk. https://www.vennershipley.co.uk/resources/publications/2018/07/03/europes-new-aviation-vision-is-electric-the-future
- Hawkins, A. J. (2019, August 14). This company wants to fill the skies with hydrogen-powered planes by 2022. The Verge. https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/14/20804257/zeroavia-hydrogen-airplane-electric-flight
- How much fuel does an international plane use for a trip? (2000, April). HowStuffWorks. https://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/question192.htm
- Lee, D. S., Fahey, D. W., Skowron, A., Allen, M. R., Burkhardt, U., Chen, Q., Doherty, S. J., Freeman, S., Forster, P. M., Fuglestvedt, J., Gettelman, A., De León, R. R., Lim, L. L., Lund, M. T., Millar, R. J., Owen, B., Penner, J. E., Pitari, G., Prather, M. J., … Wilcox, L. J. (2020). The contribution of global aviation to anthropogenic climate forcing for 2000 to 2018. Atmospheric Environment, 117834. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2020.117834
- Our failure to kick the flying habit means aviation needs to go green. (2019). New Scientist. https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24132111-600-our-failure-to-kick-the-flying-habit-means-aviation-needs-to-go-green/
- Boeing 777 Performance Summary. (2009.) The Boeing Company. [Via Wayback Machine. Web.Archive.Org.] https://web.archive.org/web/20140802021208/http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/startup/pdf/777_perf.pdf
- Why Did a Delta Plane Dump Jet Fuel Over Los Angeles Schools? (2020, January 15). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/15/us/delta-dumps-fuel-los-angeles.html
- Adams, E. (2017, May 31). Electric Airplanes Need Better Batteries—Which Should Arrive in 30 Years. WIRED. https://www.wired.com/2017/05/electric-airplanes-2/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.