Episode Show Notes:
Lightning strikes were vital to the origin of life on Earth by Grant Currin
- Lightning strikes played a vital role in life’s origins on Earth. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-03/uol-lsp031621.php
- Hess, B. L., Piazolo, S., & Harvey, J. (2021). Lightning strikes as a major facilitator of prebiotic phosphorus reduction on early Earth. Nature Communications, 12(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-21849-2
- Mamoun-Yale, F. (2021, March 18). Lightning may have paved way for life on Earth - Futurity. Futurity. https://www.futurity.org/lightning-life-on-earth-phosphorus-2534052
A cuttlefish has the power of self-control by Cameron Duke
- Cuttlefish exert self-control in a delay of gratification task | Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. (2021). Proceedings of the Royal Society B. https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2020.3161
- Yasemin Saplakoglu. (2021, March 3). Cuttlefish show self-control, pass “marshmallow test.” Livescience.com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/cuttlefish-pass-marshmallow-test.html
Your Roommate Doesn't Know How You're Feeling originally aired April 27, 2018 https://omny.fm/shows/curiosity-daily/learn-when-we-ll-meet-aliens-hear-singing-sand-dun
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Future GMO Foods, The Thought Gap, How Your Brain Knows You’re Uncomfortable
Learn about why researchers are developing new GMO foods like golden rice; why you underestimate how often others are thinking about you; and how your brain knows when you’re uncomfortable and you need to change your position.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: We Still Don’t Know How Ice Skating Works
Learn about how social connection may be as basic of a human need as hunger; the ongoing scientific debate around how ice skating actually works; and the Uberman sleep cycle, a polyphasic sleep schedule that was allegedly used by Leonardo da Vinci and Nikola Tesla.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: If Life Existed on Mars, How Would We Know?
Learn about how atheists and believers have different moral compasses; how scientists will know if life ever existed on Mars; and how to persuade people to do what you want using the foot-in-the-door technique.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Do Wild Animals Know What to Eat?
Learn why helping others feels like helping ourselves, how wild animals eat healthy, and how the Sahara feeds the Amazon.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!