Episode Show Notes:
The Diderot Effect is why buying one new thing makes you want to buy more new things by Steffie Drucker
- Clear, J. (2015, October 6). The Diderot Effect: Why We Want Things We Don’t Need. James Clear. https://jamesclear.com/diderot-effect
- Hendricks, S. (2018, July 16). How the Diderot Effect explains why you buy things you don’t need. Big Think; Big Think. https://bigthink.com/scotty-hendricks/how-the-diderot-effect-explains-why-you-buy-things-you-dont-need
- Wiest, B. (2018, July 10). The “Diderot Effect” Explains Why It’s So Easy To Feel Like You Never Have, Or Do, Enough. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/briannawiest/2018/07/10/the-diderot-effect-explains-why-its-so-easy-to-feel-like-you-never-have-or-do-enough/?sh=14b863f555fd
- Diderot, D. (1769). Regrets for my Old Dressing Gown. Marxists.org. https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/diderot/1769/regrets.htm
Cave art becomes animated when you view it in firelight by Grant Currin
- Ouellette, J. (2021, June 19). Archaeologists recreated three common kinds of Paleolithic cave lighting. Ars Technica; Ars Technica. https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/06/archaeologists-recreated-three-common-kinds-of-paleolithic-cave-lighting/
- Wachtel, E. (2017). The First Picture Show: Cinematic Aspects of Cave Art. Leonardo, 26(2), 135–140. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/606950/pdf
- Light in darkness: an experimental look at Paleolithic cave lighting. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-06/p-li060921.php
- Medina-Alcaide, M. Á., Garate, D., Intxaurbe, I., Sanchidrián, J. L., Rivero, O., Ferrier, C., Mesa, M. D., Pereña, J., & Líbano, I. (2021). The conquest of the dark spaces: An experimental approach to lighting systems in Paleolithic caves. PLOS ONE, 16(6), e0250497. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0250497
Running May Actually Be Good for Your Knees by Ashley Hamer first aired September 2, 2018 https://omny.fm/shows/curiosity-daily/infidelity-predictors-buzz-aldrin-s-moon-mementos
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.