Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Martian Moon Phobos Creates a Yearly Solar Eclipse
Learn about how eclipses on Mars can tell scientists more about the planet’s interior, why we behave irrationally when our freedom is threatened, and how an ‘80s video game was at the center of a conspiracy theory.
Episode Show Notes:
The Martian Moon Phobos Creates a Yearly Solar Eclipse — and Its Effects Could Tell Us More About the Planet by Grant Currin
- Surprise on Mars. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/ez-som090420.php
- Stähler, S. C., R. Widmer‐Schnidrig, J.‐R. Scholz, M. van Driel, A. Mittelholz, K. Hurst, Johnson, C. L., Lemmon, M. T., Lorenz, R. D., P. Lognonné, Müller, N. T., L. Pou, A. Spiga, D. Banfield, S. Ceylan, C. Charalambous, Clinton, J., D. Giardini, F. Nimmo, … Banerdt, W. B. (2020). Geophysical observations of Phobos transits by InSight. Geophysical Research Letters. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020GL089099
- InSight’s Landing Site: Elysium Planitia. (2011). NASA. https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/jpl/pia22232/insight-s-landing-site-elysium-planitia
Reactance Is Why You Act Irrationally When Your Freedom Is Threatened by Cody Gough
Was This 1980s Arcade Game Really at the Centre of a Government Conspiracy? by Reuben Westmaas
- Matulef, J. (2015, May 22). Polybius: The story behind the world’s most mysterious arcade cabinet. Eurogamer.Net; Eurogamer.net. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-22-polybius-the-story-behind-the-worlds-most-mysterious-arcade-cabinet
- Streckert, J. (2020, February 24). Storied & Scandalous Portland, Oregon: A History of Gambling, Vice, Wits, and Wagers. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. https://books.google.com/books?id=GkHCDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA171&lpg=PA171&dq=1980s+portland+gambling+busts+arcade&source=bl&ots=dAu5xBVV3C&sig=ACfU3U2BzLOI9ozFgH89pxv9RAz6I8YYyQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3nZn7-ZPsAhVlIjQIHargA1U4ChDoATACegQICBAC#v=onepage&q=1980s%20portland%20gambling%20busts%20arcade&f=false
- Tummy Derails Asteroids Champ. (1981, November 29). AP News. Eugene Register-Guard. https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19811129&id=arRQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=V-IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6688,7639998&hl=en
- Zarrelli, N. (2016, April 28). The Urban Legend of the Government’s Mind-Controlling Arcade Game. Atlas Obscura; Atlas Obscura. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-urban-legend-of-the-governments-mindcontrolling-arcade-game
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.