Episode Show Notes:
What Happens When You Pull a Muscle? by Ashley Hamer
- Pietrangelo, A. (2019). Muscle Strains. Healthline; Healthline Media. https://www.healthline.com/health/strains#treatment4
- Lee, S. (2016, February 17). What to Do When You Pull a Muscle From Working Out. Vitals; Vitals. https://vitals.lifehacker.com/what-to-do-when-you-pull-a-muscle-from-working-out-1759172514
Trees May Have a “Heartbeat” by Reuben Westmaas
Neuroscience backs up the recovering alcoholic's mantra "one day at a time" by Steffie Drucker
- Why “one day at a time” works for recovering alcoholics. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-08/yu-wd082720.php
- Blaine, S. K., Wemm, S., Fogelman, N., Lacadie, C., Seo, D., Scheinost, D., & Sinha, R. (2020). Association of Prefrontal-Striatal Functional Pathology With Alcohol Abstinence Days at Treatment Initiation and Heavy Drinking After Treatment Initiation. American Journal of Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2020.19070703
- Alcohol Facts and Statistics. (2019, April 25). National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA). https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/alcohol-facts-and-statistics
- Alcohol Abuse Differ From Alcoholism. (2019, October 30). Swift River Rehab Center. https://www.swiftriver.com/blog/alcohol-abuse-vs-alcoholism/
- One day at a Time in Recovery -. (2019, April 5). Alcoholrehab.Com. https://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-recovery/one-day-at-a-time-in-recovery/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Would Happen If You Stopped Time?
Learn about how sleep may have evolved before the brain; why airports keep birds of prey on staff; and what would happen if you stopped time.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Does Your Digital Body Language Say?
Learn about “digital body language” guidelines and how scientists brought multiple molecules into the same quantum state.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Science Says About Putting 2 Spaces After a Period
Learn about how clocks and lightbulbs changed human health, with author and materials scientist Ainissa Ramirez. Plus: learn about that time a bunch of birds became milk bottle thieves and whether you should put one or two spaces after a period.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Are Monoclonal Antibodies? (w/ Dr. Lawrence Purpura)
Dr. Lawrence Purpura explains monoclonal antibodies and the different types of treatments that could help us fight the coronavirus. Plus: learn about the Oddo-Harkins rule and why the universe seems to hate odd numbers.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What’s the Shortest Amount of Time Ever Recorded?
Learn about how scientists just measured the quickest event ever recorded; how tiny remoras (suckerfish) stay stuck to fast-moving whales; and why being too busy could be killing your creativity.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Would Happen if You Stopped Time, Secret Room of Mount Rushmore, and Dialect Benefits
Learn what would happen if you could stop time; why speaking multiple dialects of the same language is good for your brain; and why there’s a secret room behind Mount Rushmore.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Rain is Like on Other Planets
Learn about rain on other planets; why Americans used to not use forks; and whether sleep or exercise is more important.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Your Ears and Spider Fuzz Have In Common
Learn why Cygnus X-1, the first black hole ever discovered, is bigger than we thought. Then, learn about spider hearing with help from Ron Hoy, a professor of neurobiology and behavior at Cornell University who studies acoustic communication in insects.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What People Get Wrong About Evolution (w/ Neil Shubin)
Learn about the “superhabitable” planets that may have conditions better for life than Earth. Then, biologist and best-selling author Neil Shubin will explain a common misconception about how animals evolve.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Getting Chills from Music Says About Your Brain
Learn about a surprising benefit of adding humor to the news; what getting chills from music says about your brain; and how Volta’s electric eels that hunt in packs.