Episode Show Notes:
How Superstitions Can Actually Reduce Anxiety by Reuben Westmaas
- Brooks, A. W., Schroeder, J., Risen, J. L., Gino, F., Galinsky, A. D., Norton, M. I., & Schweitzer, M. E. (2016). Don’t stop believing: Rituals improve performance by decreasing anxiety. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 137, 71–85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2016.07.004
- Oksman, O. (2016, July 25). The psychology of luck: how superstition can help you win. The Guardian; The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/25/psychology-donald-trump-win-luck-superstition
Why Does Rebooting Fix Computer Problems? By Sonja Hodgen
- Miles, R. (2016, September 14). Explained: why a reboot is the go-to computer fix. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/explained-why-a-reboot-is-the-go-to-computer-fix-65261
- 1&1 IONOS Inc. (2020, March 25). What is a bootloader? IONOS Digitalguide; 1&1 IONOS Inc. https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/server/configuration/what-is-a-bootloader/
- Operating System Definition | What is an Operating System? (2019). Webopedia.Com. https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/operating_system.html
- Rouse, M. (2017). flash memory card. SearchStorage; TechTarget. https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/memory-card?_ga=2.8198770.1576329453.1600860503-1257166889.1600860503
The First Complete Dinosaur Skeleton Ever Found has Finally Been Studied After 160 Years by Grant Currin
- Scelidosaurus: ready for its closeup at last. (2020, August 26). University of Cambridge. https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/scelidosaurus
- Norman, D. B. (2020). Scelidosaurus harrisonii (Dinosauria: Ornithischia) from the Early Jurassic of Dorset, England: biology and phylogenetic relationships. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. https://doi.org/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlaa061
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Hollywood Gets Seances Wrong
Learn about how bacteria in your gut can produce electricity. Then, performer and lecturer Thom Britton will tell us about the origins of seances and how Hollywood gets them wrong.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: A Brain-Training Task to Reduce Motion Sickness
Learn about a simple brain-training task that may reduce motion sickness, what parasites found in medieval human remains can tell us about eradicating them today, and the two main reasons why everything takes longer than you think it will.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How “Flow” Can Help in Quarantine
Learn about how experiencing “flow” could help your mental health during quarantine; why airplane windows are round; and whether flies experience time more slowly than we do.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Psilocybin Therapy Can Ease Depression
Infectious disease doctor and researcher Dr. Lawrence Purpura discusses herd immunity and the coronavirus pandemic. Then, learn about how psilocybin therapy may be able to treat depression, and why credit card chips are safer than magnetic strips.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Remove Pesticides from Produce, the Misattribution of Arousal, and Laihana Noon
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Improve Your Sense of Direction
Learn about how to improve your sense of direction; the true story of the pied piper; and how our planets got their names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Cold Was the Last Ice Age?
Learn about how cold the last ice age was, why your body’s stress response can actually be healthy for you, and how to stop a jack-a-lantern from spoiling.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Change Minds (w/ Bill Nye)
Learn about why quitting smoking is good for your mental health, too; and why it’s possible to practice too much. We’ll also answer a listener question about how to get people to believe science, with some help from a special guest, Bill Nye.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Push the Limits of Innovation
Learn about the unbelievable level of purity and complexity that goes into producing new technologies. Also, what researchers are working on and how the world will look in the future thanks to their efforts.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Does Fever Help You Get Better?
Learn about how a fever helps you get better; why the first reliable and widely available pregnancy test was the African clawed frog; and a potential breakthrough in the shockingly complicated traveling salesperson problem.