Episode Show Notes:
Learn about the “second brain” in your gut; what makes Jupiter’s atmosphere so hot; and why placebo buttons are useful.
The 'second brain' in your gut might have evolved before the brain in your head by Cameron Duke
- Nield, D. (2021). The “Second Brain” in Your Gut Might Have Evolved Before The Brain in Your Head. ScienceAlert. https://www.sciencealert.com/we-have-a-brain-like-system-in-our-guts-and-it-may-have-evolved-before-brains-did?utm_source=pocket_mylist
- Rao, M., & Gershon, M. D. (2016). The bowel and beyond: the enteric nervous system in neurological disorders. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 13(9), 517–528. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrgastro.2016.107
- Spencer, N. J., Travis, L., Wiklendt, L., Costa, M., Hibberd, T. J., Brookes, S. J., Dinning, P., Hu, H., Wattchow, D. A., & Sorensen, J. (2021). Long range synchronization within the enteric nervous system underlies propulsion along the large intestine in mice. Communications Biology, 4(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s42003-021-02485-4
- Hadhazy, A. (2010, February 12). Think Twice: How the Gut’s “Second Brain” Influences Mood and Well-Being. Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/
Researchers have solved the decades-old mystery of Jupiter's hot atmosphere by Briana Brownell
- Hendricks, S. (2021, August 10). Solved: A 50-year mystery about Jupiter. Big Think; Big Think. https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/jupiter-heat-aurora
- Berman, R. (2021, July 14). Every 27 minutes, there’s an X-ray aurora on Jupiter. Here’s why. Big Think; Big Think. https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/jupiter-aurora
- Space scientists reveal secret behind Jupiter’s “energy crisis.” (2021, August 4). Phys.org. https://phys.org/news/2021-08-space-scientists-reveal-secret-jupiter.html
- O’Donoghue, J., Moore, L., Bhakyapaibul, T., Melin, H., Stallard, T., Connerney, J. E. P., & Tao, C. (2021). Global upper-atmospheric heating on Jupiter by the polar aurorae. Nature, 596(7870), 54–57. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-021-03706-w
- Yao, Z., Dunn, W. R., Woodfield, E. E., Clark, G., Mauk, B. H., Ebert, R. W., Grodent, D., Bonfond, B., Pan, D., Rae, I. J., Ni, B., Guo, R., Branduardi-Raymont, G., Wibisono, A. D., Rodriguez, P., Kotsiaros, S., Ness, J.-U., Allegrini, F., Kurth, W. S., & Gladstone, G. R. (2021). Revealing the source of Jupiter’s x-ray auroral flares. Science Advances, 7(28), eabf0851. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abf0851
Placebo buttons give us the illusion of control that we crave by Cameron Duke
- Baraniuk, C. (2015). Press me! The buttons that lie to you. Bbc.com. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20150415-the-buttons-that-do-nothing
- Jenkins, H. M., & Ward, W. C. (1965). Judgment of contingency between responses and outcomes. Psychological Monographs: General and Applied, 79(1), 1–17. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0093874
- Langer, E. J. (1975). The illusion of control. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 32(2), 311–328. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2061
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.