Episode Show Notes:
How to combat "revenge bedtime procrastination" by Kelsey Donk
- Cohut, M. (2021, March 19). Revenge bedtime procrastination: A plight of our times? Medicalnewstoday.com; Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/revenge-bedtime-procrastination-a-plight-of-our-times
- Patia Braithwaite. (2021, May 28). Revenge Bedtime Procrastination: 6 Ways to Manage It. SELF; SELF. https://www.self.com/story/revenge-bedtime-procrastination
- Kroese, F. M., De Ridder, D. T. D., Evers, C., & Adriaanse, M. A. (2014). Bedtime procrastination: introducing a new area of procrastination. Frontiers in Psychology, 5. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00611
Elephants can suck water into their trunks 30 times faster than you sneeze by Cameron Duke
- How an elephant’s trunk manipulates air to eat and drink. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-06/giot-hae060121.php
- Schulz, A. K., Ning Wu, J., Ha, S. Y. S., Kim, G., Braccini Slade, S., Rivera, S., Reidenberg, J. S., & Hu, D. L. (2021). Suction feeding by elephants. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 18(179), 20210215. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2021.0215
Pineapples eat you back, thanks to a meat-tenderizer enzyme by Grant Currin
- Here’s The Scientific Reason Pineapple Burns Your Mouth. (2018). NowThis News. https://nowthisnews.com/videos/food/heres-the-scientific-reason-pineapple-burns-your-mouth
- Scheve, T. (2008, August 4). Why do pineapple enzymes tenderize steak -- and your tongue? HowStuffWorks. https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/pineapple-enzyme-tenderize-steak1.htm
- Di Lullo, G. A., Sweeney, S. M., Körkkö, J., Ala-Kokko, L., & San Antonio, J. D. (2002). Mapping the Ligand-binding Sites and Disease-associated Mutations on the Most Abundant Protein in the Human, Type I Collagen. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 277(6), 4223–4231. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.m110709200
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Do Wombats Poop Cubes?
Learn about a newly discovered way to cut down on intrusive thoughts; why wombats poop cubes; and why UPS trucks almost never make left turns.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Accent-Changing Monkeys and the Information “Dataome”
Learn about why monkeys imitate other species’ accents; and the “dataome,” a new way to think about information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Do Wild Animals Know What to Eat?
Learn why helping others feels like helping ourselves, how wild animals eat healthy, and how the Sahara feeds the Amazon.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Duck-Billed Platypus Is Weirder Than You Thought
Learn about what researchers found when they sequenced the bizarre duck-billed platypus genome; a trick for unlocking your creativity; and the strange reasons for job-specific voices, like those of pilots, newscasters, and poets.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Your Brain on Music, Super-Singing Songbirds, Animal Sunburns
Learn about the social neuroscience of music; songbirds’ ultra-precise song control; and how animals can get skin cancer.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Human-Wildlife Conflict and Believing Leisure Is a Waste of Time
Learn about the science of human-wildlife conflicts; and what you risk by believing that leisure is a waste of time.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Cities Have Squirrels, How Psychopath Brains Are Different, and a Holographic Brain Device
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories to help you learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Foods to Curb Sleep Deprivation, Light Levels Affect How Cold You Feel, and Kangaroo Pouches
Learn about why the amount of light you see affects how cold you feel; what’s inside a kangaroo’s pouch; and, foods that can curb the effects of sleep deprivation.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Elephants Get Drunk (and They’re Lightweights), Pigeons Helped Win Wars, and Night Owls May Struggle to Regulate Their Emotions
Learn about why it might actually be pretty easy to drink an elephant under the table; how carrier pigeons like Cher Ami helped win the world wars; and why night owls may have worse emotion regulation than morning people.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Wildlife Crossings Work (w/ Beth Pratt of #SaveLACougars) and Get Happy by Doing One Creative Thing a Day
Beth Pratt, leader of the Save LA Cougars campaign, explains how wildlife crossings work and the unique engineering behind the Liberty Canyon Wildlife Crossing. Plus: learn how doing one creative thing every day can boost your happiness.