Curiosity Daily Podcast: De-agin’ Sensation, Indiana Jones Needs A.I., Rapid-est Test
Today, you’ll learn about a new process that can make cells younger by up to thirty years, the incredible artificial intelligence that is helping piece together the puzzles of ancient texts, and how researchers have developed a rapid test for viruses like coronavirus that is just as accurate as PCR tests and takes only thirty minutes.
Episode show notes:
The fountain of youth may be closer than we think.
- “‘Time Jump’ by 30 Years: Old Skins Cells Reprogrammed To Regain Youthful Function” by Babraham Institute
- “Multi-Omic Rejuvenation of Human Cells by Maturation Phase Transient Reprogramming” by Diljeet Gill, et al.
- “Aging Changes in Organs - Tissue - Cells” by Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
The overlap between artificial intelligence and the ancient world.
- “DeepMind’s new AI model helps decipher, date, and locate ancient inscriptions” By James Vincent
- “Radiocarbon Dating” by Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit
- “A New A.I. Can Help Historians Decipher Damaged Ancient Greek Texts” by Jane Recker
- “AI could decipher gaps in ancient Greek texts, say researchers” by Nicola Davis
Turns out some things can actually be good, fast, and cheap.
- “UT Dallas researchers develop accurate rapid test for viruses” By EurekaAlert
- “UT Dallas Researchers Create High-Accuracy Rapid Virus Test” by Marin Wolf
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.