Episode Show Notes:
Dive deeper into all your favorite Shark Week shows with Shark Week’s Daily Bite Podcast hosted by Luke Tipple:
- Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/shark-weeks-daily-bite/id1527053422
- Listen on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/0dfzM1ktSB1mSKD5z4Qujm?si=R8rNBksMRS-JrgMs9JIJ5g&dl_branch=1
- Learn more: https://www.discovery.com/shark-week/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-daily-bite-podcast
We just found the largest glowing shark species in the world by Grant Currin
- Starr, M. (2021). We Just Found The Largest Luminous Glowing Shark Species in The World. ScienceAlert. https://www.sciencealert.com/three-new-luminous-glowing-sharks-have-been-found-living-in-the-ocean-s-dark-depths
- Mallefet, J., Stevens, D. W., & Duchatelet, L. (2021). Bioluminescence of the Largest Luminous Vertebrate, the Kitefin Shark, Dalatias licha: First Insights and Comparative Aspects. Frontiers in Marine Science, 8. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.633582
- Fox, A. (2021, March 5). Nearly Six-Foot-Long Glowing Shark Discovered in Deep Sea Off New Zealand. Smithsonian Magazine; Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nearly-six-foot-glowing-shark-discovered-deep-sea-new-zealand-180977163/
- Largest Glowing Shark Species Discovered Near New Zealand. (2021). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/science/biggest-glowing-shark.html
Different cities have different microbial fingerprints by Grant Currin
- Danko, D., Bezdan, D., Afshin, E. E., Ahsanuddin, S., Bhattacharya, C., Butler, D. J., Chng, K. R., Donnellan, D., Hecht, J., Jackson, K., Kuchin, K., Karasikov, M., Lyons, A., Mak, L., Meleshko, D., Mustafa, H., Mutai, B., Neches, R. Y., Ng, A., & Nikolayeva, O. (2021). A global metagenomic map of urban microbiomes and antimicrobial resistance. Cell. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2021.05.002
- Coxworth, B. (2021, May 28). Study determines that each city has its own microbial signature. New Atlas. https://newatlas.com/science/cities-microbiome-signature/
- Yarlagadda, T. (2021, May 27). Scientists reveal a global map that could help us track the next deadly pathogen. Inverse; Inverse. https://www.inverse.com/science/city-microbial-census
- See which microbe species were found in your area: http://metasub.org/map/
- See which antibiotic-resistant bacteria were found in your area: https://resistanceopen.org/
The Milky Way probably didn't form from a collision like we thought by Briana Brownell
- Milky Way not unusual, astronomers find. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-05/acoe-mwn052021.php
- Scott, N., van de Sande, J., Sharma, S., Bland-Hawthorn, J., Freeman, K., Gerhard, O., Hayden, M. R., & McDermid, R. (2021). Identification of an [α/Fe]—Enhanced Thick Disk Component in an Edge-on Milky Way Analog. The Astrophysical Journal Letters, 913(1), L11. https://doi.org/10.3847/2041-8213/abfc57
Please vote for Curiosity Daily in the 2021 People's Choice Podcast Awards! Register at https://podcastawards.com, select Curiosity Daily in the categories of Education and Science & Medicine, and then click/tap "save nominations" at the bottom of the page. Voting in other categories is optional. Your vote is greatly appreciated!
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.