Curiosity Daily Podcast: Gates of Hell, Cancer Clues, Hidden Jungle Cities
Today we discuss how a fiery pit in Turkmenistan has been burning for more than 50 years, new clues to the origins of cancer, and how ancient cities are hiding beneath the cover of forest canopies.
Gates of Hell
- The Quest to Extinguish the Flames of Turkmenistan’s Terrifying ‘Gates of Hell’ Firepit by Jane Recker
- The 'Gates of Hell' May Finally Be Closed, Turkmenistan's President Announces by Brandon Specktor
- The ‘Gates of Hell’ Could be Closed After Blazing for 50 Years by Sophia Smith Galer
- The Gates of Hell by Atlas Obscura
- Visiting Turkmenistan's 'Gates Of Hell' by Amos Chapple
- “Whole-Genome Analysis of 12,000 Patients Reveals “Treasure Trove” of Cancer Insights” by Molly Campbell
- “Large study of whole genome sequencing data reveals 'treasure trove' of clues about causes of cancer” by ScienceDaily
Hidden Jungle Cities
- “Lost Cities of the Amazon Discovered From the Air” by Brian Handwerk
- “Lidar reveals pre-Hispanic low-density urbanism in the Bolivian Amazon” by Heiko Prümers, Carla Jaimes Betancourt, José Iriarte, Mark Robinson & Martin Schaich
- “About Us” by The Earth Archive
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.