Episode Show Notes:
Please nominate Curiosity Daily for Best Technology & Science Podcast in the 2020 Discover Pods Awards! It's free and only takes a minute. Thanks so much! https://awards.discoverpods.com/nominate/
Scientists "teleported" the real-time behavior of a real fish onto a robot fish by Grant Currin
- Zebrafish Help Unlock Clues to Human Disease. (2018). Hopkinsmedicine.Org. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/research/advancements-in-research/fundamentals/in-depth/zebrafish-help-unlock-clues-to-human-disease
- Zebrafish Behavior: Opportunities and Challenges. (2019). Annual Reviews. https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-neuro-071714-033857
- Beam me up: Researchers use “behavioral teleporting” to study social interactions. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-08/ntso-bmu082420.php
- Karakaya, M., Macrì, S., & Porfiri, M. (2020). Behavioral Teleporting of Individual Ethograms onto Inanimate Robots: Experiments on Social Interactions in Live Zebrafish. IScience, 23(8), 101418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2020.101418
Additional resources from Kat Arney:
- Pick up "Rebel Cell: Cancer, Evolution, and the New Science of Life's Oldest Betrayal" on Amazon: https://amzn.to/32zrPqg
- Rebel Cell's website: https://www.rebelcellbook.com/
- Kat Arney's website: https://katarney.com/
- Kat Arney's Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kat_Arney
- Genetics Unzipped podcast: https://geneticsunzipped.com/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Moral Outrage Online, Cuttlefish Memory, Sounds Have Shapes
Learn about the dark side of likes and shares; how cuttlefish memory stays sharp in old age; and bouba and kiki shapes.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Cuttlefish Wore 3-D Glasses for Science
Learn about why your next relationship will probably be like your last one; what scientists learned by studying the oldest material on Earth; and what researchers learned when they had cuttlefish wear 3-D glasses.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Time Can Flow Backward, Why Poisonous Pufferfish Are Delicious, and Undersea Cables
Learn about a quantum theory that says time can flow backward; why the Internet relies on huge undersea cables; and why people eat pufferfish, even though they’re incredibly poisonous.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Persuading Others When Facts Don’t Seem to Matter (w/ Lee Hartley Carter), Cross-Dressing Cuttlefish
Learn about how some male cuttlefish “cross-dress” to woo the ladies. You’ll also learn how to persuade people in a world where facts don’t seem to matter, with help from author Lee Hartley Carter.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: A Town Where Wireless Signals Are Banned, Why Fish Stink, and a Personality Health Test
Learn about why wireless signals are completely banned from Green Bank, West Virginia; why fish stinks but chicken doesn’t; and how to find out if you have a healthy personality.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Humans Are Symmetrical, Fish Electrocution Physics, A Misplaced Equator Theme Park, and Silent Places
Learn about one of the only silent places in the United States; why fish aren’t electrocuted during lightning storms; why an equator theme park was built in the wrong place; and why humans are symmetrical.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Some Words Are More Memorable, How Hair Growth Works, and How Fish End Up in Landlocked Lakes
Learn about why some words are more memorable than others; how hair growth works; and how fish end up in landlocked lakes.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Donut-Shaped Planets, Hot Aluminum Foil, Why Fish Wiggle, and A Woman Who Can’t Feel Fear
Learn why fish never quit wiggling; how a donut-shaped planet is technically possible; what researchers have learned from “S.M.,” the woman who can’t feel fear; and why you can touch aluminum foil in a hot oven.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Do Wombats Poop Cubes?
Learn about a newly discovered way to cut down on intrusive thoughts; why wombats poop cubes; and why UPS trucks almost never make left turns.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Hot Testes, Blasting Diabetes, Robo Fish Cleans Ocean
Come along with us to figure out how heating up testicles could be an effective male contraceptive, how ultrasounds might help us cure Type 2 diabetes, and how a robotic fish might soon clean our oceans.