Here’s what you need for extreme camping in the Rockies
Wondering what Alex and Kevin pack to survive extreme camping? Here are a few items for extreme camping, in the Rocky Mountains, wilderness style.
Alex Charvat and Kevin Gilman, hosts of Reclaimed, are typically up in the Rockies where the temperature swings could be extreme, with snowfall and high winds at night. Their survival depends on bringing the right supplies along with them for their off-the-grid, prolonged construction and mining work.
Needless to say, these guys are expert level campers. Want to upgrade your supplies? Make sure to add these must-haves to your list.
- Ultralight, down, sleeping bags rated to 0 degrees
- Insulated air mattress
- 4 season tent
- Folding, high altitude rated stove.
- Titanium, dual wall cups for coffee and cocktails
- Titanium Spork
- Flexlite collapsible chairs
Planning a long-term residence out in mother nature? There's a few more things you're gonna need.
Survival and Working Essentials:
- Hand-forged hatchet
- Engraved zippo
- Soft-sided cooler
- Puffy jacket
- Stocking cap
- Leather gloves
- Climbing harness, rope, and carabiners
- LED Lantern and power hub
- Solar panel charger
- 600 lumen LED flashlight
- LED battery operated headlamp
- Three-inch auto-open folding knife
- Personal protection bear spray and 10mm 1911
- 6mm climbing rope for hanging food and lashing gear
- Rock pick
- Merino wool socks
- Biodegradable toilet paper and wipes
- Folding shovel
- Water purification filter
- 120 pound rated backpack
- Gortex shell jacket
- Sunscreen and chapstick
- Unbreakable metal water bottle filled with micro-distilled gin.
- Tonic in aluminum, crushable cans that are easy to pack out **be sure to make camp near shaded snowdrift for mountain style ice and to cool any beer in the soft-sided cooler**
- Premium Pabst Blue Ribbon malt beverages
- Laser range finder
- German optic binoculars
- Declination adjustable mirrored compass
- USGS quad section map
- Advanced first aid kit
- Protein-rich elk tenderloins, baked beans, and fresh garden mushrooms
- Instant Via coffee packets
- Flip flops
- UV rated sunglasses
- Spincast reel, break down fishing rod, spinners and bait hooks