Episode Show Notes:
People's brains adapted to having a robotic "third thumb" by Steffie Drucker
- UCL. (2021, May 19). Robotic “Third Thumb” use can alter brain representation of the hand. UCL News. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2021/may/robotic-third-thumb-use-can-alter-brain-representation-hand
- Kieliba, P., Clode, D., Maimon-Mor, R. O., & Makin, T. R. (2021). Robotic hand augmentation drives changes in neural body representation. Science Robotics, 6(54), eabd7935. https://doi.org/10.1126/scirobotics.abd7935
- Video: https://vimeo.com/551468278
- Teen turns prosthetic arm into glitter-shooting unicorn horn [VIDEO] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf91U06GII8
Measuring time increases the entropy in the universe by Briana Brownell
- Pearson, A. N., Guryanova, Y., Erker, P., Laird, E. A., Briggs, G. A. D., Huber, M., & Ares, N. (2021). Measuring the Thermodynamic Cost of Timekeeping. Physical Review X, 11(2). https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevx.11.021029
- O’Callaghan, J. (2021, May 20). How does time work? Livescience.com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/how-does-time-work.html
- Schirber, M. (2021). Keeping Time on Entropy’s Dime. Physics, 14. https://physics.aps.org/articles/v14/s54
- Crane, L. (2020). Measuring time accurately increases the entropy in the universe. New Scientist. https://www.newscientist.com/article/2277050-measuring-time-accurately-increases-the-entropy-in-the-universe/
- A clock’s accuracy may be tied to the disorder it creates. (2021, April 28). Science News. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/clock-time-accuracy-entropy-disorder
To Scope Someone Out, See How They Judge Others by Anna Todd
- What you say about others says a lot about you, research shows. (2021). ScienceDaily. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100802165441.htm
- Wood, D., Harms, P., & Vazire, S. (2010). Perceiver effects as projective tests: What your perceptions of others say about you. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99(1), 174–190. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0019390
- Schwantes, M. (2017, March 27). Asking This 1 Question Will Instantly Reveal Someone’s Personality. Inc.com; Inc. https://www.inc.com/marcel-schwantes/how-to-read-people-instantly-by-asking-1-simple-question.html
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Could Parasites Turn Us into Zombies?
Learn about whether parasites can turn us into zombies, why awkward silences are so awkward, and why bubbles form in boiling water.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Could Science Stop Aging? And the Milky Way’s “Broken Arm”
Learn about how research into senescent cells and senolytic drugs could change aging. Plus: the Milky Way’s broken arm.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Your Extra Artery, Emotional Hangovers, LEDs Are Bad for Bugs
Learn why more humans are growing an extra artery; emotional hangovers; and the drawbacks of energy-efficient LED streetlamps.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Hacking Earth to Fight Climate Change
Learn about the likelihood that we all live in a computer simulation. Then, author Thomas Kostigen explains how geoengineering might help cool the planet and save the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Push the Limits of Innovation
Learn about the unbelievable level of purity and complexity that goes into producing new technologies. Also, what researchers are working on and how the world will look in the future thanks to their efforts.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Using AI to Play Ancient Board Games
Learn why learning too much can make you less passionate and how AI is resurrecting ancient board games. Plus: trivia!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: A Good Reason to Resolve Your Arguments
Learn how resolving arguments can erase nearly all bad feelings, and why almost all calico cats are female. Plus: trivia!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why It's Good to Reveal Your Failures
Learn about why successful people should reveal their failures; the extreme story of the death of planet WASP-12b; and why tulips used to cost more than houses during a period known as “tulip mania.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: 5 Steps to Hitting Work-Life Balance
Learn about a 5-step process for finding work-life balance; photosynthetic bacteria that have never seen the sun; and why researchers build a digital model of the ancient Greek Antikythera mechanism: the first known analog computer.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Improve Your Sense of Direction
Learn about how to improve your sense of direction; the true story of the pied piper; and how our planets got their names.