Curiosity Daily Podcast: Early Female Hunters Were More Common Than We Thought
Learn about why ants are better farmers than we'll ever be; how female big-game hunters were likely common in the early Americas; and why presenting too much evidence could actually make you lose an argument, thanks to the overkill backfire effect.
Episode Show Notes:
Ants Are Better Farmers Than We'll Ever Be by Steffie Drucker
- Ants are skilled farmers: They have solved a problem that we humans have yet to. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-11/uoc-aas110420.php
- Handwerk, B. (2017, April 12). How Ants Became the World’s Best Fungus Farmers. Smithsonian Magazine; Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-ants-became-worlds-best-fungus-farmers-180962871/
- Byers, D. The First Farmers. Florida State College Jacksonville. http://web.fscj.edu/David.Byres/tango.html
Female big-game hunters were likely common in the early Americas by Grant Currin
- Early big-game hunters of the americas were female, researchers suggest. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-11/uoc--ebh102920.php
- Carne, N. (2020, November 5). Men hunt and women gather. But not always. Cosmos Magazine. https://cosmosmagazine.com/history/archaeology/men-hunt-women-gather-but-maybe-not-always/
- Haas, R., Watson, J., Buonasera, T., Southon, J., Chen, J. C., Noe, S., Smith, K., Llave, C. V., Eerkens, J., & Parker, G. (2020). Female hunters of the early Americas. Science Advances, 6(45), eabd0310. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abd0310
Presenting Too Much Evidence Could Make You Lose an Argument by Cody Gough
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.