Curiosity Daily Podcast: Extinct Human Species (w/ Elizabeth Sawchuk and Mary Prendergast) and Moody Teenage Dogs
Researchers Elizabeth Sawchuk and Mary Prendergast will talk about the lessons we’ve learned from amazing new discoveries of extinct human species. Plus: learn about how dogs can be moody teenagers, too.
June 09, 2020
Episode Show Notes:
Dogs can be annoying teenagers, too by Steffie Drucker
- Adolescence is ruff for dogs too. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/nu-air051220.php
- Teenage dogs? Evidence for adolescent-phase conflict behaviour and an association between attachment to humans and pubertal timing in the domestic dog | Biology Letters. (2020). Biology Letters. https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2020.0097
Additional resources from Elizabeth Sawchuk and Mary Prendergast:
- Sawchuk, E., & Prendergast, M. (2019, December 23). Archaeological discoveries are happening faster than ever before, helping refine the human story. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/archaeological-discoveries-are-happening-faster-than-ever-before-helping-refine-the-human-story-128743
- Lipson, M., Ribot, I., Mallick, S., Rohland, N., Olalde, I., Adamski, N., Broomandkhoshbacht, N., Lawson, A. M., López, S., Oppenheimer, J., Stewardson, K., Asombang, R. N., Bocherens, H., Bradman, N., Culleton, B. J., Cornelissen, E., Crevecoeur, I., de Maret, P., Fomine, F. L. M., … Reich, D. (2020). Ancient West African foragers in the context of African population history. Nature, 577(7792), 665–670. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-020-1929-1
- Follow @prendydigs on Twitter https://twitter.com/prendydigs
- Mary Prendergast. (2019). Slu.edu. https://www.slu.edu/madrid/academics/faculty/mary-prendergast.php
- Springer Verlag. (2020, February 15). Elizabeth SAWCHUK | Doctor of Philosophy | University of Alberta, Edmonton | UAlberta | Department of Anthropology. ResearchGate; ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Elizabeth_Sawchuk
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
Curiosity Daily Podcast: You Believe Your Own Lies Very Quickly, How Dogs Understand Human Speech, and Where to See the Ursids
Learn how to see the Ursids, the last meteor shower of the year; how researchers figured out whether dogs can understand what you tell them; and how long it takes before you believe your own lies.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Dealing with Uncertainty During the Coronavirus Pandemic (w/ Dr. Renée Lertzman) and One Dog Year Doesn’t Equal Seven Human Years
Dr. Renée Lertzman will help you understand uncertainty and how to work through the feelings you might be feeling thanks to the coronavirus pandemic. You’ll also learn why one dog year doesn’t equal seven human years.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing: Dogs 101
From Animal Planet comes a new podcast, Dogs 101, where you'll get a rundown of all your favorite dog breeds. Check out the first episode, "Puppies" here.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: There’s No Such Thing as a Hypoallergenic Dog
Learn about why there’s no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog; why you should praise kids for their work ethic, not their smarts; and why you should never put coffee grounds in your garden.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Your Dog’s Paws Smell Like Corn Chips
Learn about why you shouldn’t add oil to your pasta water; a simple way to help kids think better; and why your dog’s paws smell like corn chips.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Backward Letters, Dogs Detect Lies, Neutron Star Mountains
Learn about why children write letters backward; how dogs know when you’re lying to them; and mountains on neutron stars.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Saving Dogs from Fireworks, Benjamin Franklin’s Productivity Schedule, and Supportive Texting
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Forcing Functions and “Super Thinking,” Rosalind Franklin’s Story, and Dogs Smelling Fear
Learn about the truth behind Rosalind Franklin’s contributions to science; a mental model called “forcing functions” you can use to be more thoughtful and produce better results; and, whether dogs can smell fear.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Simple Quantum Physics (w/ George Greenstein), Parachute-less Falling, and Dog Adoption
Learn about a simple way to explain quantum physics, with a special guest, astrophysicisist George Greenstein. You’ll also learn about how to survive falling without a parachute, and how to avoid “speed-dating mistakes” when adopting a dog.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Self-Defense Amputations, Unique English Words, and How Puppy-Dog Eyes Evolved
Learn about how animals evolved to amputate their limbs in self-defence; how dogs literally have human friendship in their DNA; and English words that don’t exist in other languages.