Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Smells That Existed Before Earth (w/ Harold McGee)
Learn about why your dog might be lying about its size and how physicists just achieved room-temperature superconductivity for the first time. But first, food science expert Harold McGee is back to talk about the smells that existed before Earth did.
Episode Show Notes:
Additional resources from food science expert and author Harold McGee:
- Pick up "Nose Dive: A Field Guide to the World's Smells" on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3kGFpxT
- Harold McGee's website: https://curiouscook.typepad.com/site/about-harold-mcgee.html
- Harold McGee on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Harold_McGee
Your Dog Might Be Lying About Its Size by Reuben Westmaas
- McGuire, B., Olsen, B., Bemis, K. E., & Orantes, D. (2018). Urine marking in male domestic dogs: honest or dishonest? Journal of Zoology, 306(3), 163–170. https://doi.org/10.1111/jzo.12603
Physicists just achieved room-temperature superconductivity for the first time by Grant Currin
- Room-Temperature Superconductivity Achieved for the First Time. (2020). Quanta Magazine. https://www.quantamagazine.org/physicists-discover-first-room-temperature-superconductor-20201014
- Snider, E., Dasenbrock-Gammon, N., McBride, R., Debessai, M., Vindana, H., Vencatasamy, K., Lawler, K. V., Salamat, A., & Dias, R. P. (2020). Room-temperature superconductivity in a carbonaceous sulfur hydride. Nature, 586(7829), 373–377. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-020-2801-z
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.