Curiosity Daily Podcast: Virtual Therapy vs. In-Person Therapy, How Redlining Deepened Segregation in US Cities, and Earth’s Drifting Magnetic Poles
Learn about why you can blame redlining for US cities being so segregated; why Earth’s magnetic north pole is drifting every year; and how virtual therapy can be just as effective as in-person therapy.
June 23, 2020
Episode Show Notes:
Redlining is the totally legal reason why US cities are so segregated by Steffie Drucker
- NPR. (2020). Why Cities Are Still So Segregated | Let’s Talk | NPR [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5FBJyqfoLM
- The Root. (2020). How Redlining Shaped Black America As We Know It | Unpack That [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-yD0wGxAc
- New Deal | Definition, Programs, Summary, & Facts | Britannica. (2020). In Encyclopædia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/event/New-Deal
- FDR and Housing Legislation - FDR Presidential Library & Museum. (2012). Fdrlibrary.org. https://www.fdrlibrary.org/housing
- National Housing Act Definition | Bankrate.com. (2020, May 12). Bankrate. https://www.bankrate.com/glossary/n/national-housing-act/
- Mitchell, B. (2018, March 20). HOLC “redlining” maps: The persistent structure of segregation and economic inequality » NCRC. NCRC. https://ncrc.org/holc/
- Alix, L. (2019, December 16). Wells Fargo, Philadelphia reach settlement in redlining lawsuit. American Banker; American Banker. https://www.americanbanker.com/news/wells-fargo-philadelphia-reach-settlement-in-redlining-lawsuit
- Perry, A. M., & Harshbarger, D. (2019, October 14). America’s formerly redlined neighborhoods have changed, and so must solutions to rectify them. Brookings; Brookings. https://www.brookings.edu/research/americas-formerly-redlines-areas-changed-so-must-solutions/
Earth's magnetic north pole is drifting every year by Cameron Duke
- Livermore, P. W., Finlay, C. C., & Bayliff, M. (2020). Recent north magnetic pole acceleration towards Siberia caused by flux lobe elongation. Nature Geoscience, 13(5), 387–391. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-020-0570-9
- McRae, M. (2020). Earth’s Magnetic North Is Moving From Canada to Russia, And We May Finally Know Why. ScienceAlert. https://www.sciencealert.com/russia-is-stealing-magnetic-north-from-canada-and-this-could-be-what-s-behind-it
- Mohr, K. (2020). Geodynamo | Earth. NASA.gov. https://earth.gsfc.nasa.gov/geo/research/geodynamo
- Glatzmaier, G. (1996). The Geodynamo. UCSC.edu. https://websites.pmc.ucsc.edu/~glatz/geodynamo.html
- Toomey, E. (2019, August 7). Earth’s Magnetic Field Could Take Longer to Flip Than Previously Thought. Smithsonian Magazine; Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/earths-magnetic-field-could-take-longer-flip-previously-thought-180972843/
- What Will Happen When Earth’s North And South Pole Flip? (2018). [YouTube Video]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ggs7nUjxA
Virtual therapy can be just as effective as in-person therapy by Andrea Michelson
- Effects of internet CBT for health anxiety on par with face-to-face treatment. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/ki-eoi051220.php
- Axelsson, E., Andersson, E., Ljótsson, B., Björkander, D., Hedman-Lagerlöf, M., & Hedman-Lagerlöf, E. (2020). Effect of Internet vs Face-to-Face Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Health Anxiety. JAMA Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2020.0940
- What you need to know before choosing online therapy. (2015). American Psychological Association. APA.org. https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/online-therapy
- Suzannah Weiss. (2018, June 7). How to Know if You’d Do Better With Online Therapy Versus In-Person. Vice; vice. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbqp48/is-in-person-therapy-better-than-online-therapy
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Smells That Existed Before Earth (w/ Harold McGee)
Learn about why your dog might be lying about its size and how physicists just achieved room-temperature superconductivity for the first time. But first, food science expert Harold McGee is back to talk about the smells that existed before Earth did.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Earth’s Core Growing Lopsided and the Science of Gut Feelings
Learn how to tap into your “gut feeling,” which knows more than you think it does; and why Earth's core is growing lopsided.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: An Out-of-Body Experience Without Drugs and Earth’s “Pulse”
Learn how scientists induced an out-of-body experience in a human without using drugs; and Earth’s geological “pulse.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Asthma Gets Worse at Night, Earth’s Largest Living Thing
Learn about a heroic experiment that helps explain asthma getting worse at night; and the largest living thing on earth.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Tree Heartbeats, Morse Code, and the Silurian Hypothesis of Ancient Earth
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Apes Say Hello, Life on Snowball Earth, Learn Twice as Fast
Learn about non-human animals that say hello and goodbye; life on Snowball Earth; and how to learn skills twice as fast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Music Affects Your Work, Damage from Muffled Hearing, and Earth’s Gigantic Atmosphere
Learn about why the Earth’s atmosphere extends beyond the moon; whether you should listen to music while you work; and whether your muffled hearing after a concert means you damaged your ears.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Personalities Associated with Certain Names, Working Less to Save the Earth, and Superbolts
Learn about the big impact we could have on our planet by cutting work hours; the strange behavior of superbolts of lightning; and, which personalities people associate with the sounds of certain names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Massive Ocean Beneath Earth’s Surface, Road Trip Game History, and Memory-Boosting Reading Technique
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Measure Your Beliefs About the World, the Overview Effect, and a Mercury-Spewing Fountain
Learn about how the overview effect changes your perspective when you leave Earth; why the Calder Mercury Fountain in Barcelona pumps out pure liquid mercury; and, how researchers came up with a set of core beliefs that measure how you feel about the world.