Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Brussels Sprouts Taste Better Now, Luxury Buying Makes People Feel Fake, and Whether People Think in Words or Pictures
Learn about whether people think in words or in pictures; why brussels sprouts really are tastier than they used to be; and why buying luxury items might make you feel like an impostor.
February 21, 2020
Episode Show Notes:
Whether People Think in Words or Pictures by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Alicia)
- (2020). Twitter. https://twitter.com/KylePlantEmoji/status/1221713792913965061
- Heavey, C. L., & Hurlburt, R. T. (2008). The phenomena of inner experience. Consciousness and Cognition, 17(3), 798–810. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.concog.2007.12.006
- Pristine Inner Experience. (2020). Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pristine-inner-experience
- Amit, E., Hoeflin, C., Hamzah, N., & Fedorenko, E. (2017). An asymmetrical relationship between verbal and visual thinking: Converging evidence from behavior and fMRI. NeuroImage, 152, 619–627. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2017.03.029
Why Brussels Sprouts Taste Better Now by Steffie Drucker
- From Culinary Dud To Stud: How Dutch Plant Breeders Built Our Brussels Sprouts Boom. (2019, October 30). NPR.Org. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/10/30/773457637/from-culinary-dud-to-stud-how-dutch-plant-breeders-built-our-brussels-sprouts-bo
- Beck, A. (2019, November 7). It’s Not Your Imagination, Brussels Sprouts Really Do Taste Better Now. Better Homes & Gardens; Better Homes & Gardens. https://www.bhg.com/news/brussels-sprouts-less-bitter/
- Pearson, H. (2006, September 18). Distaste for sprouts in the genes. Nature. https://doi.org/10.1038/news060918-1
- Perman, A. (2011, November 1). The “brussels sprouts” gene: TAS2R38 | Anna Perman’s Genetic Spaghetti. The Guardian; The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/nov/01/brussel-sprout-gene
- Neuroscience for Kids - Bitter Taste Gene. (2003, July 15). Washington.edu. http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/bitter.html
- Masur, L. (2019, December 26). The Top 10 Food Trends of the Entire Decade. Kitchn; Apartment Therapy, LLC. https://www.thekitchn.com/decade-food-trends-2010-2019-22973978
Luxury Buying Makes People Feel Fake by Kelsey Donk
- Luxury consumption can fuel “impostor syndrome” among some buyers. (2019). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-12/bc-lcc122019.php
- Wong, K. (2020, January 30). Why Your Designer Bag Is Making You Feel Worse. The Financial Diet. https://thefinancialdiet.com/luxury-consumer-imposter-syndrome/
- Goor, D., Ordabayeva, N., Keinan, A., & Crener, S. (2019). The Impostor Syndrome from Luxury Consumption. Journal of Consumer Research. https://doi.org/10.1093/jcr/ucz044
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://curiosity.im/podcast-flash-briefing
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Fresh, Canned, and Frozen Vegetable Nutrition, Staying in Bed for Science, and IQs on Iodine
Learn which is healthiest: fresh, canned, or frozen vegetables; how iodized salt accidentally increased the American IQ; and how you can apply to participate in a new NASA-backed study to help scientists learn about the effects of space travel.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: New Laser Uses Sound Waves, Get Your Kids to Eat Veggies, and Better-Than-Average Effect
Learn about a new phonon laser that uses sound instead of light; a counterintuitive trick to get your kids to eat vegetables; and a cognitive bias that explains why most people think they’re better than other people.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: A Historic Friendship, Pumpkin Care, Declaring Sovereignty
Learn about Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle’s amity; how to keep a jack-o’-lantern fresh; and declaring sovereignty.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Mushrooms Are More Like Humans Than Plants
Learn how mushrooms are more like humans than plants; why your tongue isn’t a muscle; and ferret-training robot badgers.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Poop of Youth, Robot Roaches, Chatty Fungus
Learn about how we might be flushing the secret to anti-aging down the toilet, how cyborg cockroaches could save your life one day and how mushrooms may be talking to each other!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Magic Mushroom Evolution and When Kids Gain Theory of Mind
Learn about why magic mushrooms evolved to be “magic” and new research into when children develop “theory of mind.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Burn Them Cals, Magic of Mushrooms, Flying at Mach 16
Today, you’ll learn about some new, emerging data that is giving us surprising insight into human metabolism, how magic mushrooms are at the forefront of mental health treatment, and new jet technology that could get us anywhere in the world in under two hours.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Road to the 8-Hour Workday, the Liking Gap, Shocking Tomatoes
Learn about how guaranteed 8-hour work days came to the US; the liking gap; and the shocking defense systems of tomato plants.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Alibi Memory, Denisova Cave History, Cleaning Fruit & Veggies
Learn how often people misremember alibis; new lessons from Denisova Cave; and how to remove pesticides from produce.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Tell When Someone’s Lying, Out-of-Body Experiences, and Healthiest Way to Cook Broccoli
Learn about an easy way to catch someone in a lie; a possible scientific explanation for why your vestibular system may be to blame for out-of-body experiences; and the healthiest way to prepare broccoli, according to science.