Episode Show Notes:
Mushrooms are more like humans than plants by Grant Currin
- More from this author. (2016, January 12). How Are Mushrooms More Similar to Humans than Plants?» Science ABC. Science ABC. https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/how-are-mushrooms-more-similar-to-humans-than-plants.html
- Inglis-Arkell, E. (2012, September 7). Why are mushrooms more like humans than they are like plants? io9. https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-are-mushrooms-more-like-humans-than-they-are-like-p-5940434
- Steenkamp, E. T., Wright, J., & Baldauf, S. L. (2005). The Protistan Origins of Animals and Fungi. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 23(1), 93–106. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msj011
- Baldauf, S. L., & Palmer, J. D. (1993). Animals and fungi are each other’s closest relatives: congruent evidence from multiple proteins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 90(24), 11558–11562. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.90.24.11558
- Burki, F., Roger, A. J., Brown, M. W., & Simpson, A. G. B. (2020). The New Tree of Eukaryotes. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 35(1), 43–55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2019.08.008
Why do people say the tongue is the strongest muscle in the body? by Ashley Hamer (Listener question from Dave)
- Julia Calderone,Ben Fogelson. (2014, August 15). Fact or Fiction?: The Tongue Is the Strongest Muscle in the Body. Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-the-tongue-is-the-strongest-muscle-in-the-body/
- Katherine Harmon Courage. (2014, January 10). Octopus Arms, Human Tongues Intertwine for Science. Scientific American Blog Network. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/octopus-chronicles/octopus-arms-human-tongues-intertwine-for-science/
- The Tongue - Muscles - Innervation - Vasculature - TeachMeAnatomy. (2015). Teachmeanatomy.info. https://teachmeanatomy.info/head/muscles/tongue/
Wildlife conservationists tried to train black-footed ferrets with robots by Cameron Duke
- Andrews, R. M. (1989, August 26). “Robo-Badger” Is Scary, But Do Friendly Ferrets Think So? AP NEWS; Associated Press. https://apnews.com/article/3f45b4ae40266310acf8e4fffc70f01a
- Biggins, D. E., Vargas, A., Godbey, J. L., & Anderson, S. H. (1999). Influence of prerelease experience on reintroduced black-footed ferrets (Mustela nigripes). Biological Conservation, 89(2), 121–129. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0006-3207(98)00158-x
- Edwards, M. C., Ford, C., Hoy, J. M., FitzGibbon, S., & Murray, P. J. (2021). How to train your wildlife: A review of predator avoidance training. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 234, 105170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2020.105170
- Heim, M. (2011, February). Survival Training, Ferret Style. Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/survival-training-ferret-style-32562/
- Saving the Black-footed Ferret. (2021). Biologicaldiversity.org. https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/species/mammals/black-footed_ferret/index.html
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Poop of Youth, Robot Roaches, Chatty Fungus
Learn about how we might be flushing the secret to anti-aging down the toilet, how cyborg cockroaches could save your life one day and how mushrooms may be talking to each other!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Magic Mushroom Evolution and When Kids Gain Theory of Mind
Learn about why magic mushrooms evolved to be “magic” and new research into when children develop “theory of mind.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Burn Them Cals, Magic of Mushrooms, Flying at Mach 16
Today, you’ll learn about some new, emerging data that is giving us surprising insight into human metabolism, how magic mushrooms are at the forefront of mental health treatment, and new jet technology that could get us anywhere in the world in under two hours.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Mushrooming Minds, Super Plants, Plz Call Your Friends
Magic mushrooms are giving researchers hope in treating conditions like anxiety and depression, a new study may have found the key to increasing photosynthesis efficiency in plants, and research shows that we love being reached out to by old friends!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Fresh, Canned, and Frozen Vegetable Nutrition, Staying in Bed for Science, and IQs on Iodine
Learn which is healthiest: fresh, canned, or frozen vegetables; how iodized salt accidentally increased the American IQ; and how you can apply to participate in a new NASA-backed study to help scientists learn about the effects of space travel.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: New Laser Uses Sound Waves, Get Your Kids to Eat Veggies, and Better-Than-Average Effect
Learn about a new phonon laser that uses sound instead of light; a counterintuitive trick to get your kids to eat vegetables; and a cognitive bias that explains why most people think they’re better than other people.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: A Historic Friendship, Pumpkin Care, Declaring Sovereignty
Learn about Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle’s amity; how to keep a jack-o’-lantern fresh; and declaring sovereignty.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Road to the 8-Hour Workday, the Liking Gap, Shocking Tomatoes
Learn about how guaranteed 8-hour work days came to the US; the liking gap; and the shocking defense systems of tomato plants.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Alibi Memory, Denisova Cave History, Cleaning Fruit & Veggies
Learn how often people misremember alibis; new lessons from Denisova Cave; and how to remove pesticides from produce.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Tell When Someone’s Lying, Out-of-Body Experiences, and Healthiest Way to Cook Broccoli
Learn about an easy way to catch someone in a lie; a possible scientific explanation for why your vestibular system may be to blame for out-of-body experiences; and the healthiest way to prepare broccoli, according to science.