Curiosity Daily Podcast: Burn Them Cals, Magic of Mushrooms, Flying at Mach 16
Today, you’ll learn about some new, emerging data that is giving us surprising insight into human metabolism, how magic mushrooms are at the forefront of mental health treatment, and new jet technology that could get us anywhere in the world in under two hours.
Episode show notes:
True or False: your metabolism slows as you age. The answer isn’t what you think!
- “Burn, baby, burn: the new science of metabolism” by David Cox
- “Surprising findings about metabolism and age” by Fatima Cody Stanford, MD, MPH, MPA, FAAP, FACP, FTOS and Chika Anekwe, MD, MPH
- “Middle-age spread isn't down to metabolism, but we know how to beat it” by Sara Novak
- “3 lifestyle changes that can boost your metabolism and prevent weight gain” by Brianna Steinhilber
Mushrooms are more magical than fueling your next trip - they could help treat depression.
- “Psilocybin treatment for major depression effective for up to a year for most patients, study shows” by Marisol Martinez
- “Efficacy and safety of psilocybin-assisted treatment for major depressive disorder: Prospective 12-month follow-up” by Natalie Gukasyan, Alan K Davis, Frederick S Barrett, Mary P Cosimano, Nathan D Sepeda, Matthew W Johnson, and Roland R Griffiths
- “Psychoactive ingredient in 'magic' mushrooms may treat depression for much longer than traditional antidepressants when combined with therapy, study backed by Tim Ferriss finds” by Dr. Catherine Schuster-Bruce
- “Can psychedelics meet their potential for treating mental health disorders?” by Laura Sanders
- “Decriminalizing 'magic mushrooms'? Rhode Island lawmakers are considering it. Here's why:” by Patrick Anderson
Getting anywhere in the world in 2 hours may not be the stuff of science fiction for much longer!
- "The Experimental Engine That Could Get Us Anywhere in the World in 2 Hours" by Caroline Delbert
- “Chinese team test jet engine ‘able to reach anywhere on Earth within 2 hours’” by Stephen Chen
- “China Tests Hypersonic Jet Engine That Can Go 16 Times the Speed of Sound” by Fabienne Lang
- “Scientists Test Hypersonic Jet Engine Prototype That Could Travel Anywhere On Earth In 2 Hours” by Jack Dunhill
- “How Does a Jet Engine Work” by NASA
- “Aircraft Propeller Basics” by Southern Wings
- “Keeping the SR-71 Blackbird (the World's First Stealth Plane) Secret Was Near Impossible” by Robert Beckhusen
- “SR-71 Blackbird: Stories, Tales, and Legends” by Richard H. Graham
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.