Curiosity Daily Podcast: Mushrooming Minds, Super Plants, Plz Call Your Friends
Magic mushrooms are giving researchers hope in treating conditions like anxiety and depression, a new study may have found the key to increasing photosynthesis efficiency in plants, and research shows that we love being reached out to by old friends!
September 21, 2022
- 'They Broke My Mental Shackles': Could Magic Mushrooms be the Answer to Depression? by Josh Jacobs
- Psilocybin Produces Substantial and Sustained Decreases in Depression and Anxiety in Patients with Life-Threatening Cancer: A Randomized Double-Blind Trial by Roland R. Griffiths, et al.
- Rapid and Sustained Symptom Reduction Following Psilocybin Treatment for Anxiety and Depression in Patients with Life-Threatening Cancer: A Randomized Controlled Trial by Stephen Ross, et al.
- Psilocybin-Induced Decrease in Amygdala Reactivity Correlates with Enhanced Positive Mood in Healthy Volunteers by Rainer Kraehenmann, et al.
- Therapeutic Mechanisms of Psilocybin: Changes in Amygdala and Prefrontal Functional Connectivity during Emotional Processing after Psilocybin for Treatment-Resistant Depression by Lea J. Mertens, et al.
- Limbic System: Amygdala by The University of Texas McGovern Medical School
- Scientists Resurrect Ancient Enzymes To Improve Photosynthesis by Krishna Ramanujan
- Improving the Efficiency of Rubisco by Resurrecting Its Ancestors in the Family Solanaceae by Myat T. Lin, et al.
- Scientists Take Step to Improve Crops’ Photosynthesis, Yields by Krishna Ramanujan
- Small Subunits Can Determine Enzyme Kinetics of Tobacco Rubisco Expressed in Escherichia Coli by Myat T. Lin, et al.
Plz Call Your Friends
- “Unexpectedly reaching out to a friend is more appreciated than people assume, new study shows” by Douglas Heingartner
- “The Surprise of Reaching Out: Appreciated More Than We Think” by Peggy J. Liu, SoYon Rim, Lauren Min, and Kate E. Min
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to get smarter with Calli and Nate — for free! Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Mushrooms Are More Like Humans Than Plants
Learn how mushrooms are more like humans than plants; why your tongue isn’t a muscle; and ferret-training robot badgers.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Poop of Youth, Robot Roaches, Chatty Fungus
Learn about how we might be flushing the secret to anti-aging down the toilet, how cyborg cockroaches could save your life one day and how mushrooms may be talking to each other!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Magic Mushroom Evolution and When Kids Gain Theory of Mind
Learn about why magic mushrooms evolved to be “magic” and new research into when children develop “theory of mind.”
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Burn Them Cals, Magic of Mushrooms, Flying at Mach 16
Today, you’ll learn about some new, emerging data that is giving us surprising insight into human metabolism, how magic mushrooms are at the forefront of mental health treatment, and new jet technology that could get us anywhere in the world in under two hours.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Fresh, Canned, and Frozen Vegetable Nutrition, Staying in Bed for Science, and IQs on Iodine
Learn which is healthiest: fresh, canned, or frozen vegetables; how iodized salt accidentally increased the American IQ; and how you can apply to participate in a new NASA-backed study to help scientists learn about the effects of space travel.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: New Laser Uses Sound Waves, Get Your Kids to Eat Veggies, and Better-Than-Average Effect
Learn about a new phonon laser that uses sound instead of light; a counterintuitive trick to get your kids to eat vegetables; and a cognitive bias that explains why most people think they’re better than other people.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: A Historic Friendship, Pumpkin Care, Declaring Sovereignty
Learn about Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle’s amity; how to keep a jack-o’-lantern fresh; and declaring sovereignty.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Road to the 8-Hour Workday, the Liking Gap, Shocking Tomatoes
Learn about how guaranteed 8-hour work days came to the US; the liking gap; and the shocking defense systems of tomato plants.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Alibi Memory, Denisova Cave History, Cleaning Fruit & Veggies
Learn how often people misremember alibis; new lessons from Denisova Cave; and how to remove pesticides from produce.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Tell When Someone’s Lying, Out-of-Body Experiences, and Healthiest Way to Cook Broccoli
Learn about an easy way to catch someone in a lie; a possible scientific explanation for why your vestibular system may be to blame for out-of-body experiences; and the healthiest way to prepare broccoli, according to science.