Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Do Bats Cause So Many Virus Outbreaks?
Learn about why bats are the source of so many deadly virus outbreaks; and the surprisingly strong influence older siblings can have on their brothers and sisters — just in time for Siblings Day. Then, test your knowledge from this podcast with a Curiosity Challenge trivia game.
Episode Show Notes:
Why bats are the source of so many deadly virus outbreaks by Andrea Michelson
- Coronavirus outbreak raises question: Why are bat viruses so deadly? (2020, February 11). University of California. https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/coronavirus-outbreak-raises-question-why-are-bat-viruses-so-deadly
- Brook, C. E., Boots, M., Chandran, K., Dobson, A. P., Drosten, C., Graham, A. L., Grenfell, B. T., Müller, M. A., Ng, M., Wang, L.-F., & van Leeuwen, A. (2020). Accelerated viral dynamics in bat cell lines, with implications for zoonotic emergence. ELife, 9. https://doi.org/10.7554/elife.48401
- Xie, J., Li, Y., Shen, X., Goh, G., Zhu, Y., Cui, J., Wang, L.-F., Shi, Z.-L., & Zhou, P. (2018). Dampened STING-Dependent Interferon Activation in Bats. Cell Host & Microbe, 23(3), 297-301.e4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2018.01.006
- How Do Bats Live With So Many Viruses? (2020, January 28). The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/science/bats-coronavirus-Wuhan.html
Older Siblings Might Be More Influential to a Child Than Parents by Anna Todd
Hear the answers to today’s trivia questions in these episodes of Curiosity Daily:
- Memory’s Role in Social Anxiety, The First Synthetic Self-Replicating Genome, and Penguins Can Call Underwater https://curiositydaily.com/memorys-role-in-social-anxiety-the-first-synthetic-self-replicating-genome-and-penguins-can-call-underwater/
- Speed Listening’s Effects on Emotion, Surprising Differences Between White and Brown Rice, and Pi Almost Legally Changed to 3.2 https://curiositydaily.com/speed-listenings-effects-on-emotion-surprising-differences-between-white-and-brown-rice-and-pi-almost-legally-changed-to-3-2/
- Dr. Amesh Adalja Explains Social Distancing for COVID-19, Birds Won’t Spread Fake News, and Using Auroras to Find Exoplanets https://curiositydaily.com/dr-amesh-adalja-explains-social-distancing-for-covid-19-birds-wont-spread-fake-news-and-using-auroras-to-find-exoplanets/
Pick up “Wanderers: A Novel” by Chuck Wendig on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2Xvx20x
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://curiosity.im/podcast-flash-briefing
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.