Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Are the COVID-19 Vaccines Kept So Cold?
Learn about how the Faroe Islands created their own Google Street View using sheep; why some vaccines (like Pfizer’s and Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccines) have to be kept so cold; and why it’s easier to understand a second language than it is to speak it.
Episode Show Notes:
The Faroe Islands Created Their Own Google Street View with Sheep by Anna Todd
- Visit Faroe Islands - The ultimate guide to the Faroe Islands. (2016). Visit Faroe Islands. https://visitfaroeislands.com/
- Lockhart, K. (2016, August 31). Google Sheep View: Tech giant to map out Faroe Islands using sheep, ships and wheelbarrows. The Telegraph. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/08/31/google-sheep-view-tech-giant-agrees-to-help-to-map-out-faroe-isl/
- Google Street View on the Faroe Islands: https://goo.gl/maps/tA7359hiqbRd8uGfA
Why do some vaccines have to be kept so cold? by Cameron Duke
- How Influenza (Flu) Vaccines Are Made. (2020). https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/how-fluvaccine-made.htm
- Moderna Announces Longer Shelf Life for its COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate at Refrigerated Temperatures | Moderna, Inc. (2020). Moderna, Inc. https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-longer-shelf-life-its-covid-19-vaccine
- RNA vaccines: an introduction. (2018). PHG Foundation. https://www.phgfoundation.org/briefing/rna-vaccines
- Why Does Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine Need To Be Kept Colder Than Antarctica? (2020, November 17). NPR.org. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/17/935563377/why-does-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-need-to-be-kept-colder-than-antarctica
Scientists may have discovered why it's easier to understand a second language than speak it by Kelsey Donk
- Learning a new language changes the brain’s division of labor. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-11/sfn-lan111720.php
- Gurunandan, K., Arnaez-Telleria, J., Carreiras, M., & Paz-Alonso, P. M. (2020). Converging evidence for differential specialisation and plasticity of language systems. The Journal of Neuroscience, JN-RM-0851-20. https://doi.org/10.1523/jneurosci.0851-20.2020
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.