Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why That Thing You Just Learned Is Suddenly Everywhere
Writer, producer, and “Flash Forward” podcast host Rose Eveleth explains why so many technology breakthroughs never pan out. Then, learn about real-life giant sand worms and why the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon makes you notice some things more than others.
Episode Show Notes:
Additional resources from Rose Eveleth:
- Rose's website: http://roseveleth.com/
- Flash Forward podcast: https://www.flashforwardpod.com/
- Flash Forward Presents: https://www.ffwdpresents.com/
- Follow Rose on Twitter: https://twitter.com/roseveleth
The spice must flow: Giant sand worms used to roam the ocean floor 20 million years ago by Grant Currin
- Giant sand worm discovery proves truth is stranger than fiction: Trace fossil reveals more about this ancient creature’s behavior. (2021). ScienceDaily. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/01/210121163134.htm
- Pan, Y.-Y., Nara, M., Löwemark, L., Miguez-Salas, O., Gunnarson, B., Iizuka, Y., Chen, T.-T., & Dashtgard, S. E. (2021). The 20-million-year old lair of an ambush-predatory worm preserved in northeast Taiwan. Scientific Reports, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-79311-0
- Sample, I. (2021, January 21). Giant worm’s undersea lair discovered by fossil hunters in Taiwan. The Guardian; The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jan/21/giant-worm-undersea-lair-discovered-fossil-hunters-taiwan
Blame The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon For The Things You Notice More Than Others first aired July 15, 2018 https://omny.fm/shows/curiosity-daily/the-universe-in-consciousness-w-bernardo-kastrup-i
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.