Episode Show Notes:
Saving the whales could help us capture more than a billion tons of CO2 every year by Briana Brownell
- Nature’s Solution to Climate Change – IMF F&D. (2019). Imf.org. https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2019/12/natures-solution-to-climate-change-chami.htm
- Blue Carbon in the Sanctuaries - Greater Farallones Association. (2021, October 4). Greater Farallones Association. https://farallones.org/climate/blue-carbon/
- The Great whales: All 13 species explained. (2020, February 12). Whale Watch Cabo Tours. http://whalewatchcabo.com/great-whales
Jupiter Has Rings by Ashley Hamer
- Does Jupiter have rings? (2021). Rmg.co.uk. https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/does-jupiter-have-rings
- NASA - Jupiter’s Ring Formation Theories Confirmed. (2021). Nasa.gov. https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/multimedia/largest/rings.html
Why Reading Makes You Carsick by Anna Todd
- Fresh Air. (2016, August 2). A Neuroscientist Explores The Illogical Behaviors Of The Mind In “Idiot Brain.” NPR.org; Fresh Air. https://www.npr.org/2016/08/02/488238350/a-neuroscientist-explores-the-illogical-behaviors-of-the-mind-in-idiot-brain
- Schmidt, E. A., Kuiper, O. X., Wolter, S., Diels, C., & Bos, J. E. (2020). An international survey on the incidence and modulating factors of carsickness. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 71, 76–87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2020.03.012
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Changing Someone’s Identity, Mushballs on Uranus and Neptune, Curiosity Challenge
Learn about how someone can change their identity (and their mind); and “mushballs” on Uranus and Neptune. Plus: trivia!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Are Spacesuits White?
Learn why spacesuits are white, and how to avoid drama by breaking the Karpman Drama Triangle. Then, test your podcast knowledge with this month’s Curiosity Challenge trivia game.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Astronauts Clean Their Underwear
Learn why narcissism may come from insecurity, how lobster became a delicacy, and how astronauts clean their underwear.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Yeah, About That Phosphine on Venus...
Learn about the surprising memory skills of infants; why that whole “phosphine on Venus” discovery may not be as exciting as we thought; and how medical science answered Molyneux's problem, a 300-year-old philosophy question.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Rain is Like on Other Planets
Learn about rain on other planets; why Americans used to not use forks; and whether sleep or exercise is more important.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Known Solar System Just Got Bigger
Learn about how mice seem to feel each other’s pain; why our known solar system just got a little bigger thanks to “Farfarout” 2018 AG37; and the history of quinine, the malaria cure that eventually led to the gin and tonic.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Birthday Effect, Psychological Richness, Star or Satellite?
Learn about the link between birthdays and COVID-19; “psychological richness” for a good life; and satellites vs. stars.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Psychosomatic Illnesses and Seeing Behind a Black Hole
Neurologist Suzanne O’Sullivan demystifies psychosomatic illnesses. Then, learn how scientists saw behind a black hole.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Space Slingshot, Ancient Modern Pants, Lifesaving Silence
Hear about a slingshot launching payloads into space, the impressively modern-looking world’s oldest pants, and how moth wings are able to absorb sound to avoid detection from bats.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Easter Island Mythbusting and the Universe’s Expansion Rate
Learn why Easter Island never had a population collapse; and how scientists are measuring the expansion of our universe.