Episode Show Notes:
Maybe that song stuck in your head is helping your long-term memory by Cameron Duke
- Karen Michele Nikos-Rose. (2021, June 15). That Song Is Stuck in Your Head, but It’s Helping You to Remember. UC Davis. https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/song-stuck-in-head-helps-remember
- Kubit, B. M., & Janata, P. (2021). Spontaneous mental replay of music improves memory for incidentally associated event knowledge. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. https://doi.org/10.1037/xge0001050
We have the first experimental evidence for how auroras are created by Briana Brownell
- Physicists report definitive evidence how auroras are created. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-06/uoi-prd060321.php
- Auroral Electron Acceleration. (2021). Uiowa.edu. https://homepage.physics.uiowa.edu/~ghowes/research/aurora.html
- Schroeder, J. W. R., Howes, G. G., Kletzing, C. A., Skiff, F., Carter, T. A., Vincena, S., & Dorfman, S. (2021). Laboratory measurements of the physics of auroral electron acceleration by Alfvén waves. Nature communications, 12(1), 1-9. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-23377-5.epdf
A Feline Myth Debunked: Don't Give Your Cat Milk by Anna Todd
- Fries, W. C. (2009, July 17). Cats and Dairy: Get the Facts. WebMD; WebMD. https://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cats-and-dairy-get-the-facts#1
- Bradshaw, J. (2019, May 20). Why can’t cats drink milk? Plus 6 other feline myths. BBC Science Focus Magazine; BBC Science Focus Magazine. https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/why-cant-cats-drink-milk-plus-6-other-feline-myths/
- Causes and diagnosis of lactose intolerance. (2018, November 29). Nih.gov; Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK310263/
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Befriend Cats with the Slow Blink
Learn about how slow blinking at a cat can help you make friends with it, how temptation bundling can help you reinforce good habits, and why Moravec’s Paradox says the easy stuff is hardest for artificial intelligence.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Gray Matter Gabfest, Our Pulsating Earth, Smarty Cats
Today, you’ll learn about how a man with advanced ALS, who can’t move a muscle, was able to communicate with his family using his thoughts, about a sixty-year-old mystery involving the earth and why it pulsates every twenty-six seconds, and how cats can learn the names of their fellow cats under the right conditions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Schrödinger's Second Cat, Asymmetric Insight, and Why You Should Study How You Study
Learn about a version of Schrödinger's cat that might break quantum physics; a study hack that makes you think about how you study; and why you’re not as mysterious as you think you are, thanks to a cognitive bias called asymmetric insight.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What “Pavlovian” Really Means, Wisconsin’s Ultimate Tourist Trap, and Why Cats Love Boxes
Learn about why the one thing you probably know about Pavlov and his dogs is wrong; why the House on the Rock is the tourist trap to end all tourist traps; and why researchers think cats love boxes.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Flirting Cats, Walking Sharks, Preventing Cerebral Palsy
We discuss a new app that can translate a cat’s meow into human languages, how the Epaulette shark is teaching us about climate change, and a potential treatment that might prevent cerebral palsy.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: NASA’s Voyager Golden Records, Why Cats Love Boxes, and Bacteria Hot Spots in Your Office
Learn about the golden records NASA launched into space with their Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 probes; the 5 most bacteria-ridden spots in your office; and why cats love boxes, according to science.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Soft Drinks Taste Different Out of Cans, Why Housecats Are Dangerous for Wildlife, and 100 Minor Planets Discovered Beyond Neptune
Learn about why housecats are deadlier for local wildlife than wild predators; why soft drinks taste better from a can than they do from a plastic bottle (especially when it comes to Cody and his Mountain Dew habits); and how astronomers just found 100 new minor planets beyond Neptune.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Measuring Your FOMO, Tashirojima “Cat Island,” and the Man Who Put His Head Inside A Particle Accelerator (and Survived!)
Learn about the real effects of FOMO, and how you can measure your fear of missing out; the story of Anatoli Bugorski, a Russian scientist who put his head inside a particle accelerator and survived; and the Japanese “Cat Island” of Tashirojima, where there are more cats than people.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Sharks Aren’t Just Apex Predators (w/ Forrest Galante), How Cats Affect Online Dating, and When Giant Prehistoric Sea Scorpions Ruled the Seas
Forrest Galante, host of “Extinct or Alive” on Animal Planet, explains why sharks are so important to their ecosystems. You’ll also learn about giant prehistoric sea scorpions called Eurypterids who used to rule the sea and how cats affect online dating.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Protecting Pets from Home Chemicals and How Resilience Works
Learn how to protect your pets from the chemicals in your home; and why resilience is a process, not a fixed trait.