Episode Show Notes:
Kivi Kuaka: how birds could be the key to an early warning system for natural disasters by Briana Brownell
- Hakai Magazine. (2021). Can Birds Help Us Avoid Natural Disasters? | Hakai Magazine. Hakai Magazine; Hakai Magazine. https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/can-birds-help-us-avoid-natural-disasters/
- The project - Kivi Kuaka. (2021, May 3). Kivi Kuaka. https://kivikuaka.fr/theproject/?lang=en
Your Favorite Fairy Tales Are Way Older Than You Think by Ashley Hamer
- Folk tales are older than you think - Durham University. (2021). Dur.ac.uk. https://www.dur.ac.uk/news/research/?itemno=27041
- Comparative phylogenetic analyses uncover the ancient roots of Indo-European folktales | Royal Society Open Science. (2016). Royal Society Open Science. https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsos.150645
- No fairy tale: Origins of some famous stories go back thousands of years. (2016, January 20). Science News. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/no-fairy-tale-origins-some-famous-stories-go-back-thousands-years
- Keats, J. (2017). The Origins of an Ancient Fairy Tale. Discover Magazine; Discover Magazine. https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/the-origins-of-an-ancient-fairy-tale
- Fairy Tales: September 2021 podcast playlist | Podcast Brunch Club. (2021, August 31). Podcast Brunch Club. https://podcastbrunchclub.com/fairytales/
Why do breaks heal faster than sprains? by Cameron Duke
- Clemence Lim. (2021, June 14). Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon? Ask your Physio. Core Concepts Physiotherapy; Core Concepts Pte Ltd. https://www.coreconcepts.com.sg/article/better-to-break-a-bone/
- Healing Expectations for Different Tissue Types - Symmetry Physical Therapy. (2017, July 25). Symmetry Physical Therapy. https://symmetryptaustin.com/healing-expectations-for-different-tissue-types/
- J Gordon Betts, Desaix, P., Johnson, E., Johnson, J. E., Korol, O., Kruse, D., Poe, B., Wise, J., Womble, M. D., Young, K. A., & College, O. (2013). Anatomy & physiology. Openstax College, Rice University.
- Ligament. (2020). Physiopedia. https://www.physio-pedia.com/Ligament
- ligament | Definition, Function, Types, & Facts | Britannica. (2021). In Encyclopædia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/science/ligament
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Birds Wore Funny Hats for Science
Learn about how curiosity gives your memory a boost; what happened when researchers put feathered hats on birds to see if other birds found them sexy; and how we trick bacteria into making insulin for us.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Bioprinting (w/ Zach Weinersmith), Giant Underground Cities, and Miniature Pigeon Cameras
Learn about bioprinting from Zach Weinersmith, creator of “Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.” You’ll also learn about Derinkuyu, an ancient underground city; and, Dr. Neubronner’s miniature pigeon camera that predated drone photography.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Respecting Others with Hanlon’s Razor, What If the World Went Vegan, and Dancing Cockatoos
Learn about a cockatoo that proves humans aren’t the only animals who can dance; mental models like Hanlon’s razor for reducing anxiety and getting along better with others, with some help from authors Gabriel Weinberg and Lauren McCann; and, what would happen if the world went vegan.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The First Prescription Video Game, Solving the Mystery of Short-Term Memory, and Hummingbirds’ Extraordinary Vision
Learn about the first physical evidence that shows how our brains store short-term memory; EndeavorRx, the first ever prescription video game; and why hummingbirds can see colors that you can’t.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Seeing Opinions as Facts, Bird-Killing Pisonia Trees, and How Much the Tooth Fairy Pays
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Do Wombats Poop Cubes?
Learn about a newly discovered way to cut down on intrusive thoughts; why wombats poop cubes; and why UPS trucks almost never make left turns.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Accent-Changing Monkeys and the Information “Dataome”
Learn about why monkeys imitate other species’ accents; and the “dataome,” a new way to think about information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Duck-Billed Platypus Is Weirder Than You Thought
Learn about what researchers found when they sequenced the bizarre duck-billed platypus genome; a trick for unlocking your creativity; and the strange reasons for job-specific voices, like those of pilots, newscasters, and poets.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Do Wild Animals Know What to Eat?
Learn why helping others feels like helping ourselves, how wild animals eat healthy, and how the Sahara feeds the Amazon.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Revenge Bedtime Procrastination, Elephant Trunks, Pineapples Eat You Back
Learn about how to combat revenge bedtime procrastination; the power of elephant trunks; and how pineapples eat you back.