Episode Show Notes:
There could be stars made of antimatter in our galaxy by Briana Brownell
- NASA - JSC Engineering - Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer. (2013). Nasa.gov. https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/engineering/projects/alpha_magnetic_spectrometer/index.html
- may. (2017, April 19). Giant space magnet may have trapped antihelium, raising idea of lingering pools of antimatter in the cosmos. Science | AAAS. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/giant-space-magnet-may-have-trapped-antihelium-raising-idea-lingering-pools-antimatter
- Dr Alfredo Carpineti. (2021, April 29). Where Antimatter Stars Are Located In The Milky Way (If They Actually Exist). IFLScience; IFLScience. https://www.iflscience.com/space/where-antimatter-stars-are-located-in-the-milky-way-if-they-actually-exist/
- Poulin, V., Salati, P., Cholis, I., Kamionkowski, M., & Silk, J. (2019). Where do the AMS-02 antihelium events come from? Physical Review D, 99(2). https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevd.99.023016
Additional resources from Paul Greenberg:
- Pick up "The Climate Diet: 50 Simple Ways to Trim Your Carbon Footprint" at your local bookstore: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9780593296769
- Website: https://www.paulgreenberg.org/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/4fishgreenberg
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer — for free!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Could Growing Wood be Quicker and Greener Than Cutting Down Forests?
Wood is one of mankind’s most precious resources, but deforestation from logging and agricultural clearance has caused real harm to the environment.
Is Summer Taking Over All Seasons?
A recent study found that the summer season is at risk of lasting too long and the other seasons potentially doomed with declining duration. At first, you might be excited about this news. However, let's talk through what it means.
10 Simple Things You Can Do to Help Save the Earth
From a very young age we are taught the 3 'Rs;' REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE. Here are just a few things you can do around your home to take care of our planet on Earth Day and beyond.Celebrate Earth Month with brand new specials and documentaries, streaming on discovery+.
Water Cremation Offers Eco-Alternative For Funerals
Funeral traditions around the world vary widely depending on cultural and religious practices, but they often use burial or cremation. Neither method is good for the environment, and green alternatives are gaining in popularity. Aquamation, or water cremation, is a low-carbon, less energy-intensive process that could replace both.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Bill Nye’s Earth Day Tips to Save Our Planet
To help you celebrate Earth Day, Bill Nye discusses some unexpected ways we can save our environment, including raising the standard of living for women and girls. Then, you’ll learn about why spicy solar panels capture more sunlight — with a little help from capsaicin.
Can this New AI Technology Help Us Understand the Languages of Animals?
A California-based nonprofit is searching to build an AI language that allows humans more deeply understand non-human languages to help change our ecological impact on our Earth.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Exercise Extravaganza: How to Stretch, Running to Help Your Knees, and Gym Class Myths
Learn why running may actually be good for your knees; how to stretch the right way so you’re less likely to hurt yourself; and some things gym class got wrong when you were a kid.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Play a Game to Help Cure Alzheimer’s, Building the Perfect Swear Word, and May’s Curiosity Challenge
Learn what researchers found when they tried to build the perfect profanity, then learn how playing an online game called Stall Catchers can help scientists speed up Alzheimer’s research. Then, test your knowledge with Curiosity Challenge trivia questions.
Microplastics in Blood Spotlight Health Emergency from Plastic Pollution
Plastic pollution is growing rapidly across Earth’s ecosystems and its threat to humanity and wildlife is too. Outcomes for health and the environment will be dire unless we tackle it, says a United Nations (UN) report. But the discovery of microplastics in human blood means urgent action is needed.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How Badly We Need to Feel Socially Connected (w/ Vivian Zayas) and Work Commute Tips
Learn about the surprising power behind our need to feel socially connected, with guest Vivian Zayas, Director of the Personality, Attachment, and Control Laboratory at Cornell University. Plus, learn about how to make your commute a little happier.