Curiosity Daily Podcast: Tap into the 4 Pillars of Learning (w/ Stanislas Dehaene) and How We Get Seedless Fruit
Renowned cognitive neuroscientist Stanislas Dehaene explains how you can learn new things by tapping into the four pillars of learning. But first, you’ll learn about how we get seedless fruit.
June 25, 2020
Episode Show Notes:
How do we get seedless fruit? by Cameron Duke
- How Do Farmers Make Seedless Fruit? (2015). [YouTube Video]. In YouTube.
- How do seedless fruits arise and how are they propagated? (n.d.). Scientific American. Retrieved May 29, 2020, from https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-seedless-fruits-ar/
- Seedless Fruit. (n.d.). ScienceDaily. Retrieved May 29, 2020, from https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/parthenocarpy.htm
- Dunn, Rob. (2017, March 14). Humans Made the Banana Perfect—But Soon, It’ll Be Gone. WIRED; WIRED. https://www.wired.com/2017/03/humans-made-banana-perfect-soon-itll-gone/
Additional resources from Stanislas Dehaene:
- Pick up “How We Learn: Why Brains Learn Better Than Any Machine...for Now” on Amazon https://amzn.to/2Y6ZWnz
- uniad. (2016). LAB. UNICOG - Cognitive Neuroimaging Lab. http://www.unicog.org/
- Collège de France faculty bio https://www.college-de-france.fr/site/en-stanislas-dehaene/presentation.htm
- Follow @StanDehaene on Twitter https://twitter.com/StanDehaene
- Stanislas Dehaene on Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2Dd5uoIAAAAJ&hl=en
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Stinky Science of the World’s Smelliest Fruit
Learn about the shocking prevalence of torture scenes in movies; why durian, the world’s smelliest fruit, smells so bad; and where mold comes from.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Nudge Theory’s Dark Side (w/ Richard Thaler), Hybrid Fruit Science, Words for “Pirate”
Learn about how to avoid getting dragged down by “Sludge”; how hybrid fruit like plumcots are made; and pirate parlance.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Alibi Memory, Denisova Cave History, Cleaning Fruit & Veggies
Learn how often people misremember alibis; new lessons from Denisova Cave; and how to remove pesticides from produce.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: New Science on How We Learn (w/ Stanislas Dehaene), Why Stores Use Air Curtains, and Desert Microbes that Dissolve Rocks with Acid
Learn about why air curtains blast you with air when you walk into certain stores; microbes that survive in the desert by dissolving rocks with acid; and the latest research into how we learn, with help from renowned cognitive neuroscientist Stanislas Dehaene.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Cooked vs. Uncooked Fruits and Veggies (w/ The Nutrition Wonk), Food Poisoning Facts, and Milky Way’s Second Life
Learn where food poisoning comes from (and how to avoid it); why we’re in the Milky Way’s second life.; and whether fruits and vegetables are healthier when they’re fresh or frozen.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: What Wind Chill Really Means, Learning Skills Faster with a Workout, and the Hypatia Stone
Learn about how the mysterious Hypatia stone could change what we know about our solar system; what wind chill actually means; and how you can learn skills faster with a 15-minute workout.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Missions to Venus and How to Extract DNA from Strawberries
Learn about past missions to Venus — and why we’re going back; and how to extract DNA from strawberries in your kitchen.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Sniff Out Fake News with Machine Learning and Increase Productivity with Don’t-Do Lists and Morning Pages
Learn how to sniff out fake news with help from machine learning from MIT; how you can improve your to-do list with a “don’t-do” list; and how to maximize your creativity with a simple change in your morning routine.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Pollen Is Not Actually Plant Sperm
Learn why your mom calls you your sibling’s name; why pollen isn’t just plant sperm; and what really causes sore muscles.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How a Plant Gene Ended Up in an Insect’s DNA
Learn about “brain fog” in menopause; NASA’s patent prevalence; and a plant gene found in an insect for the first time.