Episode Show Notes:
Here's Why You Shouldn't Add Oil to Your Pasta Water by Ashley Hamer
- Helmenstein, A. M. (2019). Why Don’t Oil and Water Mix? ThoughtCo. https://www.thoughtco.com/why-oil-and-water-dont-mix-609193
- Corriher, S. (2007, April 10). Cooking Pasta Properly. FineCooking; FineCooking. https://www.finecooking.com/article/cooking-pasta-properly
- Pantry Raid I: Use Your Noodle Transcript. (2010). Goodeatsfanpage.com. http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/season1/pasta/pastatranscript.htm
This Reminder Brings Out Flexible Thinking in Kids by Alison Jones
- Jones-Duke, A. (2019, July 5). This reminder brings out flexible thinking in kids. Futurity. https://www.futurity.org/reminders-children-roles-flexible-thinking-2099002-2/
- Gaither, S. E., Fan, S. P., & Kinzler, K. D. (2019). Thinking about multiple identities boosts children’s flexible thinking. Developmental Science, 23(1). https://doi.org/10.1111/desc.12871
Here's why your dog's paws smell like corn chips by Grant Currin
- Reactions. (2020). Why Do My Dog’s Paws Smell Like Fritos? [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30_QRAC6XOU&feature=youtu.be
- Dove, L.L. (2016, November 14). Why Your Dog’s Paws Smell Gloriously Like Corn Chips. HowStuffWorks. https://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/why-dog-paws-smell-fritos-corn-chips.htm
- Soniak, M. (2010, July 12). Why Do Your Dog’s Feet Smell Like Popcorn? Mentalfloss.com. https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/25030/why-do-your-dogs-feet-smell-popcorn
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing: Dogs 101
From Animal Planet comes a new podcast, Dogs 101, where you'll get a rundown of all your favorite dog breeds. Check out the first episode, "Puppies" here.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Backward Letters, Dogs Detect Lies, Neutron Star Mountains
Learn about why children write letters backward; how dogs know when you’re lying to them; and mountains on neutron stars.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: There’s No Such Thing as a Hypoallergenic Dog
Learn about why there’s no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog; why you should praise kids for their work ethic, not their smarts; and why you should never put coffee grounds in your garden.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Saving Dogs from Fireworks, Benjamin Franklin’s Productivity Schedule, and Supportive Texting
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss the following stories from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes:
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Forcing Functions and “Super Thinking,” Rosalind Franklin’s Story, and Dogs Smelling Fear
Learn about the truth behind Rosalind Franklin’s contributions to science; a mental model called “forcing functions” you can use to be more thoughtful and produce better results; and, whether dogs can smell fear.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Simple Quantum Physics (w/ George Greenstein), Parachute-less Falling, and Dog Adoption
Learn about a simple way to explain quantum physics, with a special guest, astrophysicisist George Greenstein. You’ll also learn about how to survive falling without a parachute, and how to avoid “speed-dating mistakes” when adopting a dog.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Self-Defense Amputations, Unique English Words, and How Puppy-Dog Eyes Evolved
Learn about how animals evolved to amputate their limbs in self-defence; how dogs literally have human friendship in their DNA; and English words that don’t exist in other languages.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Leaders Can Be Too Extroverted, The Cutest Age for a Puppy, and Goldbach’s Conjecture
Learn about the Goldbach conjecture, a simple math problem that’s never been solved; why researchers studied the cutest age for a puppy; and why extroverted leaders can have too much of a good thing.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Extinct Human Species (w/ Elizabeth Sawchuk and Mary Prendergast) and Moody Teenage Dogs
Researchers Elizabeth Sawchuk and Mary Prendergast will talk about the lessons we’ve learned from amazing new discoveries of extinct human species. Plus: learn about how dogs can be moody teenagers, too.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Myths About Your Vision, What Your Dog’s “Guilty” Look Really Means, and the Gaokao Exam
Learn about the truth behind common myths about vision; what that “guilty look” on your dog’s face actually means; and the nearly impossible Chinese college entrance exam, the gaokao.