Garum, an ancient Roman sauce, mysteriously vanished — and culinarians can’t recreate it by Steffie Drucker
- Tonon, R. (2021, June 24). The Team Resurrecting Ancient Rome’s Favorite Condiment. Atlas Obscura; Atlas Obscura. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/garum-fish-sauce
- Grescoe, T. (2021, November). Culinary Detectives Try to Recover the Formula for a Deliciously Fishy Roman Condiment. Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/recoving-the-recipe-for-garum-180978846/
- Fish Sauce: An Ancient Roman Condiment Rises Again. (2013, October 26). NPR.org. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/10/26/240237774/fish-sauce-an-ancient-roman-condiment-rises-again
- Garum, Pompeii Fish Sauce. (2021). Pompeii-Food-And-Drink.org. http://pompeii-food-and-drink.org/garum.htm
The reason puberty is happening sooner may be because our bodies time it with our nutrition by Grant Currin
- Scientists discover how our brain uses nutritional state to regulate growth and age at puberty. (2021, November 3). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/933435
- Lam, B. Y. H., Williamson, A., Finer, S., Day, F. R., Tadross, J. A., Gonçalves Soares, A., Wade, K., Sweeney, P., Bedenbaugh, M. N., Porter, D. T., Melvin, A., Ellacott, K. L. J., Lippert, R. N., Buller, S., Rosmaninho-Salgado, J., Dowsett, G. K. C., Ridley, K. E., Xu, Z., Cimino, I., & Rimmington, D. (2021). MC3R links nutritional state to childhood growth and the timing of puberty. Nature, 599(7885), 436–441. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-021-04088-9
- Philippa Roxby. (2021, November 3). The brain sensor discovery behind humans getting taller. BBC News; BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59140359
Intense poaching led to the evolution of tuskless elephants, but the good news is that those tusks are making a comeback by Cameron Duke
- Campbell-Staton, S. C., Arnold, B. J., Gonçalves, D., Granli, P., Poole, J., Long, R. A., & Pringle, R. M. (2021). Ivory poaching and the rapid evolution of tusklessness in African elephants. Science, 374(6566), 483–487. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abe7389
- Dina Fine Maron. (2018, November 9). Under poaching pressure, elephants are evolving to lose their tusks. Animals; National Geographic. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/wildlife-watch-news-tuskless-elephants-behavior-change
- Preston, E. (2021). Tuskless Elephants Escape Poachers, but May Evolve New Problems. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/science/tuskless-elephants-evolution.html
- Yong, E. (2021, October 21). The Atlantic. The Atlantic; theatlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/10/elephants-poaching-war-tusklessness/620447/
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.