Episode Show Notes:
Why are birds the only surviving dinosaurs? By Grant Currin
- Hendry, L. (2018, June 15). Why are birds the only surviving dinosaurs? The Natural History Museum London. https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/why-are-birds-the-only-surviving-dinosaurs.html
- Black, R. (2020, September 15). Why Birds Survived, and Dinosaurs Went Extinct, After an Asteroid Hit Earth. Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-birds-survived-and-dinosaurs-went-extinct-after-asteroid-hit-earth-180975801/
- Pickrell, J. (2018, May 24). How Did Dino-Era Birds Survive the Asteroid “Apocalypse”? National Geographic. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2018/05/dinosaurs-asteroid-birds-forests-fires-paleontology-science/
- Balter, M. (2014, May 6). How Birds Survived the Dinosaur Apocalypse. Science | AAAS. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/05/how-birds-survived-dinosaur-apocalypse
Resources from Ologies host Alie Ward:
- Ologies Podcast: https://www.alieward.com/ologies
- Alie Ward's website: https://www.alieward.com/
- Alie Ward on Twitter: https://twitter.com/alieward
- Alie Ward on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alieward/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Bugs Are Basically Robots (w/ Alie Ward)
Learn about how AI could help predict which drugs won’t agree with women, and why Point Nemo is considered planet Earth’s spacecraft graveyard. But first, Ologies podcast host Alie Ward is back to tell us about her favorite ologie.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: 3D Printed Fashion (w/ Dana Thomas), Difference Between THC and CBD, Quiet Smart People
Learn about how 3D printing could shape the future of fashion, from best-selling author Dana Thomas. You’ll also learn about the difference between THC and CBD when it comes to cannabis; and, why the smartest people in the room are often the quietest.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Periodical Cicadas 101, Why Smarter People Choke Under Pressure, and Analyzing DNA to Solve the Dead Sea Scrolls Mystery
Learn why periodical cicadas come out every 13 or 17 years; why people with high cognitive abilities tend to choke under pressure; and how DNA analysis could solve the mystery of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Introducing If/Then
What gets you curious? Virtual experiences, celestial bodies, water worlds or maybe just the tiniest mysteries inside your brain? The endlessly curious and curiously funny, Gillian Jacobs (Community, Netflix's LOVE) and Diona Reasonover (NCIS), step off set to go on tangents with real-life astronauts, astrophysicists, science artists, mathematician-types and other really smart people that investigate what seems impossible.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: The Curiosity Podcast Wraps Up with Yoga, Volcanoes, and Meditation
Learn from some of our favorite expert guests about yoga, volcanoes, meditation, and more on this special episode of the Curiosity Podcast. You'll hear from accomplished authors and academics from past episodes, in addition to a special guest you've never heard before on the show. Plus, hear about the past, present, and future of the Curiosity Podcast.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Does ESP Exist?
Learn about ESP; why people panicked about electricity in the 1800s; and how embryos use sound to prepare for the world.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Are Facial Expressions Universal?
Learn about common ancestors shared by every human; evolution’s multiple directions; and universal facial expressions.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Do Opposites Really Attract?
Learn about why opposites don’t really attract; the “propinquity effect” and how physical distance affects the way we feel about other people; and the history of when and why we started using last names.
Curiosity Daily Podcast: How to Talk to Strangers, Red Dead Redemption 2 Naturalists, July Curiosity Challenge
Learn how to get better at talking to strangers; and how Red Dead Redemption 2 turns gamers into naturalists. Trivia too!
Curiosity Daily Podcast: Why Multitasking Keeps You Snacking
Learn about how rats might not have been all to blame for the bubonic plagues and why we’re more prone to mindlessly eat while we multitask.